[ABANDONED] Cannot connect to target under VMware

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [ABANDONED] Cannot connect to target under VMware

Hi,

Our company has a VMware image of Linux (kubuntu 8.04) that other groups do some embedded ARM development with, using other JTAG devices. I'm trying to use our J-Link from within that VM to see if it will work for our current project.

I have downloaded the Linux software package version 5.12f, TGZ archive and extracted to /usr/local/JLink_Linux_V512f_i386.
    I have installed the udev rules as described in the readme.
    I have an MSP-EXP432 Launchpad board connected to the VM just for something to play with until we get real hardware. The JTAG slide switch is set for external.
    I have the J-Link connected to the VM and the target via a 20-way to 10 way adapter.

If I try to run JLinkExe and control the target it looks like it communicates with the J-Link OK but not the target:

Source Code

1. dmcminn@dmcminnvm:/usr/local/JLink_Linux_V512f_i386$ ./JLinkExe
    2. SEGGER J-Link Commander V5.12f (Compiled May 17 2016 16:01:00)
    3. DLL version V5.12f, compiled May 17 2016 16:00:55
    4. Connecting to J-Link via USB...ShowEmO.K.
    5. Firmware: J-Link Ultra V4 compiled Apr 22 2016 11:48:35
    6. Hardware version: V4.00
    7. S/N: xxxxxxxxx
    8. License(s): RDI, FlashBP, FlashDL, JFlash, GDB
    9. VTref = 3.280V
    10. Type "connect" to establish a target connection, '?' for help
    11. J-Link>ShowEmuList
    12. J-Link[0]: Connection: USB, Serial number: 504302945, ProductName: J-Link ULTRA+
    13. J-Link>connect
    14. Please specify device / core. <Default>: MSP432P401R
    15. Type '?' for selection dialog
    16. Device>MSP432P401R
    17. Please specify target interface:
    18. J) JTAG (Default)
    19. S) SWD
    20. TIF>J
    21. Device position in JTAG chain (IRPre,DRPre) <Default>: -1,-1 => Auto-detect
    22. JTAGConf>-1,-1
    23. Specify target interface speed [kHz]. <Default>: 4000 kHz
    24. Speed>1000 kHz
    25. Device "MSP432P401R" selected.
    26. Selected interface (0) is not supported by connected debug probe.
    27. J-Link>
    Display All

If I disconnect the J-Link from the VM and try the same parameters from J-Link Commander natively under Windows then it can connect and I can control the target OK. However, I'm not sure where to start trying to figure out why it won't work under the VM. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
  • Hi,

I assume this happens every time?
    Do I understand you correctly, that you are using a Windows Host with a Linux Guest(kubuntu 8.04) using VMware?
    Could you tell me the windows and VMware version you are using?
    Does this issue also occur if you connect the J-Link to the VM directly, without connecting it to the Windows Guest first?
    If you did this already, does this issue also occur if you connect the J-Link first to the Windows host, start J-Link commander, and then connect it to the VM?

Would it be possible to provide us with the VM (full or stripped-down version, what ever you would prefer) for reproduction purposes?

Best regards,
    Niklas
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.