[SOLVED] Flasher Pro/Portable Standalone - Flashing multiple .hex files in to a single target

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] Flasher Pro/Portable Standalone - Flashing multiple .hex files in to a single target

Hi guys,

I'm trying to determine how I can use a single project/operation to load two hex files on to a target. In this case, a bootloader, and the firmware. It's undesirable to merge the hex files due to the retesting obligations.

I can pull two hex files in to the project but only one seems to get downloaded...

In stand-alone mode, using "flasher.ini" it feels like I should be able to do something like:

[FILES]
    DataFile = "bootldr.dat"
    ConfigFile = "mydevice.cfg"
    DataFile = "firmware.dat"

But as far as I can tell the Flasher doesn't work it's way down the .ini file. Any thoughts as to how I can achieve this in stand-alone mode please?

Thanks!

The post was edited 1 time, last by darcyw ().

• Hi,

one minor mistake here:

[FILES]
    DataFile = "bootldr.dat"
    DataFile1 = "firmware.dat"
    ConfigFile1 = "mydevice.cfg"

Once the Flasher.ini looks like this, you can select the image with the buttons on the Flasher portable.

Best regards,
    Niklas
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hi Niklas,

Unfortunately, you've missed the point on this... "...single project/operation..."

DataFile1 & ConfigFile1 don't work on the Flasher Pro.

So, this means that both the hex files need to be loaded when pushing a single button. If I have a Flasher Pro, I need to be able to do this with a single button press. If I have a Flasher Portable, I still want to do this with a single button press... Using two buttons is just wasteful as I have many other devices I need to use those other buttons for.

Do you have any suggestions please?

Where I stated it "feels like" I should be able to do this, I think it would be useful to deliberately specify DataFile[0-3] and ConfigFile[0-3] more than once, and the Flasher can process both sections sequentially. Perhaps I have three operations to perform to a single target, and a Flasher Pro... Let's say "Bootloader", "Firmware", "Default Configuration"... this kind of sequential operation would allow that to take place.
    In stand-alone mode, using "flasher.ini" it feels like I should be able to do something like:
    [FILES]
    DataFile = "bootldr.dat"
    DataFile = "firmware.dat"
    Thanks
  • Or perhaps I could specify...

[FILES]
    DataFile = "bootldr.dat", "firmware.dat", "config.dat"

as an alternative...?

I'm happy to use whatever method is needed to load multiple images in a single op.

Thanks

The post was edited 1 time, last by darcyw ().

• Hi,

sorry for the delay in response.
    I am not that much involved in the J-Flash development and had to check back with my colleagues first.
    Currently, there is no such functionality implemented in J-Flash.

A "batch-mode" is already on our internal ToDo , but without a fixed release Date yet.
    If we cannot squeeze it in at some point, probably Q4/2016 - Q1/2017.

Batch mode will allow to do the following with one action(e.g. a button press, or a command via RS232, et.c) in standalone mode:
    (The following list makes no claim to being complete)
    • Flashing multiple data files in sequence
    • Flashing one data file to all or a subset of the devices in a scan chain
    • Flashing different projects in sequence (Flash device 2 in chain with the 2nd datafile of Project 4, then flash device 0 in chain with the 1st datafile of Project 3, ....)
    Best regards,
    Niklas

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• Quick update:
    This feature has been included in V6.00 of the J-Link software. For detailed information regarding this, please refer to the Flasher User manual (UM08022), chapter "2.7 Batch Programming in stand-alone mode"

Best regards
    Niklas