[SOLVED] SEG-JLINk for STM32

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] SEG-JLINk for STM32

I just saw this announcement from ST saying there's firmware to upgrade the STLINK on the board to a JLink. This would be wonderful, I don't even use the on-board STLINK, I use an external JLink and would love to fix the on-board one to be useful.

However the link in that article to 'download software' just points at the standard Segger download page, I can find no such special firmware on the site anywhere, nor instructions on installing it.

Can you point me to the correct page please and tell me what to do to get this super useful upgrade?

Thanks
  • Hi,

here is the link: segger.com/jlink-st-link.html

Best regards,
    Niklas
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Thanks for that - unfortunately, although JLink is cross-platform, the re-flashing utility for the STLINK appears to be windows-only, so I won't be able to install it. Shame, never mind, this thread may hopefully help some other people who use windows and are looking for the upgrade.
  • Hi,

I just reflashed the STLink on my STM32F7 discovery board and it works like a J-Link now :D ! The only disappointing thing is the lack of SWO support, but I guess the virtual com port can be used for that. An issue remains finding the "J-Link" Serial number of the discovery board on Mac OS X, but I used the JLinkProgrammer tool for that.
  • RE: It works !

Ewout wrote:

Hi,

I just reflashed the STLink on my STM32F7 discovery board and it works like a J-Link now :D ! The only disappointing thing is the lack of SWO support, but I guess the virtual com port can be used for that. An issue remains finding the "J-Link" Serial number of the discovery board on Mac OS X, but I used the JLinkProgrammer tool for that.

Nice! You mention OSX, but I assume you had to use Windows to flash the board .. or am I missing a Mac-enabled flasher somewhere?
  • RE: RE: It works !

rols wrote:

Ewout wrote:

Hi,

Nice! You mention OSX, but I assume you had to use Windows to flash the board .. or am I missing a Mac-enabled flasher somewhere?
    You didn't miss anything :( . The STLink conversion tool works solely on Windows, because ... STLink works solely on Windows.
    I have two computers - a Mac where I do most work, and an (old, bought it on EBay) Windows machine for doing things that can only be done on Windows.
    You could, on Linux etc, use Wine for this purpose, or run a VirtualBox machine with Windows in it. It isn't pretty but very handy at times.
    Perhaps Segger might release a Linux/Mac variant of the reflash tool in the future, but I can't speak for what they plan to do.
  • RE: RE: RE: It works !

You didn't miss anything :( . The STLink conversion tool works solely on Windows, because ... STLink works solely on Windows.

An ancient copy of Parallels, after about 2 hours of doing windows updates, did the job. I now have STM32F3 and an STM32F4 boards updated to JLink and they appear to work flawlessly.

I saw the flashing utility had an option to reflash back to STLINK ... don't see myself using that.

Best update forever!
  • It looks like the STLinkReflash utility bricked my stm32nucleo f446re board.

Windows device manager shows a connected j-link device:
    [img]http://qs.lc/ntzde[/img]

J-Link configurator does not detect any device though and STLinkReflash cannot revert to the original ST-Link Firmware nor uprgade to the segger firmware.
    OS is windows 10 and I tried different USB ports without success.

What options do I have now?
  • Hi,

did you encounter any error messages during the flash process?
    could you try to use the flashed ST-Link with another computer(any os will do)?

Best regards,
    Niklas
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Thank you Niklas.
    Works like a charm (Segger Firmware) on another windows 7 computer.
    I’ll try to reinstall drivers on my Windows 10 computer later maybe that’ll fix it.
    EDIT: Removed segger drivers and reinstalled them. Now everything works.

The post was edited 1 time, last by tkr ().

• Hello,

it’s me again. This time with a bug report regarding the virtual com port.

Receiving data from the mcu to the computer work well.
    If I try to send data from the computer to the mcu I get following:
    [img]http://i.imgur.com/XlMQgig.png[/img]

The last byte is always corrupted. My COM port settings are 115200bit/s, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit, no parity.
    Other baudrates don’t work either.

For reference see the waveform of the original ST-LinkV2 firmware with same settings:
    [img]http://i.imgur.com/ncE2ENi.png[/img]

Best regards,
    tkr