[ABANDONED] JLink Ultra+ with Microchip cpu not working correctly

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [ABANDONED] JLink Ultra+ with Microchip cpu not working correctly

Hi,

I have just received a JLink Ultra+ which I want to use to debug a Microchip PIC32MZ2048EF.

IDE is MPLABX V3.26, I'm using 2 wire debug.

I can debug ok using Microchip's RealIce.

I'm using Segger software V5.12, JLink firmware is dated March 29th 2016.

Segger plugin is 1.3.2

When I connect to to debug, JLink reports programming ok.

I believe programming finishes, but then an error window pops up,

JLink V51.2 API Warning. Debugger problem discovered. The debugger has two breakpints at the same address 0x7FFFFFFFF

If I click OK, the output window in the IDE reports

Programming Failed.
    JLINK_EndDownload failed with value -301
    Programming Failed
    Running

The debugger is running and I can set breakpoints and single step etc. but everytime I start running the error dialogue pops up as before.
    Help!

Cheers
    Martin Wakely
  • Hi,

could you please open a thread with support_jlink@segger.com and include the following information?:
    • Do you use an eval board or custom hardware?
    • Your J-Link Ultra SN
    Best regards,
    Niklas
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hi Martin,

sorry for the much delayed answer.
    I forwarded this internally to our PIC32 experts, it seems it got lost somewhere. This should not happen.

Regarding your issues:
    We need more information.
    Both error messages are generated by MPLAB X, not SEGGER J-Link software.

1) A bug regarding PIC32 devices and memory mapping has been fixed in version 5.12 and later. Please update to the latest version of the J-Link software version (currently 5.12g segger.com/jlink-software.html)
    2) Which board do you use? Current Microchip boards sometimes come with on onboard Debugger which can trigger a reset during debugging with an external probe.
    3) could you please give J-Link Commander a try?
    J-Link commander is part of the J-Link software package.

• Start J-Link Commander (jlink.exe)
    • Type "connect" in order to start a debug session
    • Type in the target device name if asked (Or type "?" for a target selection Dialog)
    • Choose the correct target interface (ICSP)
    • Use a valid speed (Default: 4000kHz, try 100-500 if default does not work)
    • You should now be successfully connected.
    If anything fails, could you post a screenshot of the complete session?
    If it works could you try to download your application using the loadfile command?
    Once it is downloaded, you can test actions usually done during debugging, like setting breakpoints (setbp), reading memory (mem32), stepping (s), run (r) or halting (h) the target etc.

Best regards,
    Niklas
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • thanks Niklas,

I will work through your suggestions and report back.

Regards
    Martin

SEGGER - Niklas wrote:

Hi Martin,

sorry for the much delayed answer.
    I forwarded this internally to our PIC32 experts, it seems it got lost somewhere. This should not happen.

Regarding your issues:
    We need more information.
    Both error messages are generated by MPLAB X, not SEGGER J-Link software.

1) A bug regarding PIC32 devices and memory mapping has been fixed in version 5.12 and later. Please update to the latest version of the J-Link software version (currently 5.12g segger.com/jlink-software.html)
    2) Which board do you use? Current Microchip boards sometimes come with on onboard Debugger which can trigger a reset during debugging with an external probe.
    3) could you please give J-Link Commander a try?
    J-Link commander is part of the J-Link software package.

• Start J-Link Commander (jlink.exe)
    • Type "connect" in order to start a debug session
    • Type in the target device name if asked (Or type "?" for a target selection Dialog)
    • Choose the correct target interface (ICSP)
    • Use a valid speed (Default: 4000kHz, try 100-500 if default does not work)
    • You should now be successfully connected.
    If anything fails, could you post a screenshot of the complete session?
    If it works could you try to download your application using the loadfile command?
    Once it is downloaded, you can test actions usually done during debugging, like setting breakpoints (setbp), reading memory (mem32), stepping (s), run (r) or halting (h) the target etc.

Best regards,
    Niklas