[SOLVED] GDB Timeout with a Parallels VM.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] GDB Timeout with a Parallels VM.

Hello,

im trying to use a SEGGER J-Link Lite-XMC4000 V1.0 to program a XMC4500. This work perfectly if I use the toolchain with Mac OS.
    My problem is that I have to use DAVE CE, which is only working under windows. So my solution was to use Parallels to make a Windows VM.

Right now Im using a Win10 VM, but I already tried a Win8 VM. I can debug the XMC with JLink, but everytime I try to connect to the GDB Server im getting a timeout error.
    I know that he calls JLINK_GetHWStatus, but he gets 0x00 as response. Since its just a JLink Lite, I cant use JFlash to have a workaround.

I already checked if the device is recognized properly by the device manager. I'd make sure that the USB device is passed to the VM. I also increased the time for the timeout.

Has anybody encountered this timeout error or knows the solution or what I can also check?

Regards,
    Pascal

The post was edited 1 time, last by pkahlert ().

• Hello Pascal,

When GDB Server calls JLINK_GetHWStatus() which returns 0 everything is fine from the GDB Server side.

GDB Server should have printed something like
    Checking target voltage...
    Target voltage: 3.32 V
    Listening on TCP/IP port 2331
    Connecting to target...Connected to target
    Waiting for GDB connection...
    The timeout probably occurs in GDB.
    How do you connect from GDB to GDB Server?
    It should be
    target remote localhost:2331
    If this fails it is probably an issue with GDB or your firewall settings.

Alternatively you can connect the J-Link to OS X, run GDB Server on OS X and connect to it from your VM.

Best regards
    Johannes
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hello Johannes,

your first quote is exactly what I see.
    Im just plugin the USB Cable into my Mac and the other side into the "Segger-Part" of the XMC4500 Relax Kit.
    The rest is done by the IDE.

I already tried to connect via remote server connection from the VM to the Mac, but I get the same mistake.
    I also switched off both firewalls to be sure that its not a firewall issue.

What could be wrong with the GDB?
    Thank you for your help :)

Regards,
    Pascal
  • Hello Pascal,

So with GDB Server everything is fine.
    If it does not display any further output when starting the debug session GDB does not open a connection to it.

I cannot tell what might be wrong with GDB or DAVE.
    Maybe the guys at Infineon can help with the configuration.

Regards
    Johannes
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.