[SOLVED] J-Link bricked during update to V5.10s

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] J-Link bricked during update to V5.10s

While updating my J-Link Pro to firmware version V5.10s an error message occured while tranferring the new firmware data to the J-Link.
    After this debugging is not possible (could not connect to target).

J-Link Configurator is able to detect the J-Link if it is connected via LAN.
    But it reports a very old firmware (Emulator firmware 2012 Oct 12 (BTL)), which i cannot believe, since I always udate to the newest software package.
    But J-Link Configurator is not able to detect the J-Link if it is connected via USB.

The USB driver is loaded fine. No issues are shown in the windows control panel.

Operating system is Windows 10 Pro 64bit.

Of course something like this happens when it is most inconvenient (due to project deadline).
    What to do now?

BTW: I actually don't know if I am still on support. I used the trade-in program to update the J-Link in January 2015. Is there actually one or two years support?

Best regards,
    Martin
  • Hi Martin,

But it reports a very old firmware (Emulator firmware 2012 Oct 12 (BTL)), which i cannot believe, since I always udate to the newest software package.

Well, that's correct.

If a firmware update fails and the new firmware is not flashed successful, the J-Link stays in the bootloader mode.
    This is what you are seeing.

If you connect to it via J-Link Commander, you should immediately get a firmware update request, correct?
    Please perform this update.
    Note that J-Link cannot be used for debugging while in bootloader mode. It is a pure backup mode to allow further firmware updates in case of a update-failure.

Best regards
    Alex
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hi Martin,

J-Link Configurator is able to detect the J-Link if it is connected via LAN

Can you update the firmware via LAN using J-Link Configurator? (Right click-> update / replace firmware)

Best regards,
    Niklas

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• Hi Alex, hi Niklas,

thanks for the quick response.

SEGGER - Niklas wrote:

Can you update the firmware via LAN using J-Link Configurator? (Right click-> update / replace firmware)
    No, that does not work:

Source Code

1. SEGGER J-Link Configuration V5.10s
    2. Logging started @ 2016-03-14 09:58
    3. Updating firmware of 1 emulator:
    4. Updating firmware of emulator 1 of 1 via TCP/IP (192.168.178.109)... Error, Communication timed out: Requested 4 bytes, received 0 bytes !
    5. Could not read J-Link capabilities..
    6. Finished updating 1 emulator!

After that, J-Link Configuraor is not able to detect the J-Link until I repower the J-Link

SEGGER - Alex wrote:

If you connect to it via J-Link Commander, you should immediately get a firmware update request, correct?
    That did the trick! J-Link is up and runnig again. Thanks a lot for the hint.
    It seems, J-Link Commander is more "powerfull" than J-LInk Configurator?

Best regards,
    Martin
  • Hi,

It seems, J-Link Commander is more "powerfull" than J-LInk Configurator?

It depends.
    Regarding firmware update: No, it is not
    Regarding doing stuff on the target: Yes, it is.

Good to hear that you are up and running again.

Best regards
    Alex