[SOLVED] Enable power debugging using Jlink PRO in IAR Embedded Workbench forARM

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] Enable power debugging using Jlink PRO in IAR Embedded Workbench forARM

Hi,

I am having Jlink Pro and IAR Embedded workbench for ARM for embedded development. As part of power analysis, I want to test out the power debugging feature of IAR. To enable power debugging, there should be some plugin or software to enable power debug support from Jlink Pro. Because the options related to power debug in IAR still remains disabled.

It would be of great help, if anyone can guide me with the configuration. Please let me know the following too
    • jlink ultra supports power debugging , Doesn't jlink pro support power debug
    • How can we enable power debug feature in Pro, do we have to use some softwares/ command line tools
    Thanks in advance
  • Hi,

I want to test out the power debugging feature of IAR.

Please understand that we cannot provide support for IAR EWARM as it is not a SEGGER product.

Both J-Link ULTRA+ and PRO support Target power consumption measuring.
    Power Consumption can be monitored within the J-Link control panel, tab Target Power or in J-Link Commander with the command hwinfo .

Furthermore, the J-Link SDK provides access to the J-Link Power API (POWERTRACE).
    IAR EWARM uses this API in order to support "power debugging" with J-Link debug probes.

Best regards,
    Niklas
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hi Forum,

quoted answer via Mail from my colleague Erik:

In general, there are two things to take care about:

a) The target needs to be supplied via the J-Link (Pin 19).

If there is an adapter in between J-Link and Target or not, does not care as long as Pin 19 is mapped to the correct pin on the 5x2 header to supply the target.
    Furthermore, the J-Link needs to be configured to supply power to the target via the Pin 19 as default is "do not supply power".
    This can be done using J-Link Commander (JLink.exe):
    1) Connect the J-Link to the PC via USB
    2) Start JLink.exe
    3) Enter the "power on perm" command without quotes to enable target power by default

b) Power debugging needs to be enabled in the IDE (EWARM)

1) Start the debug session configured for J-Link
    2) Click "J-Link" --> "Power Log Setup" from the EWARM main menu and make sure that I0 is enabled
    3) Click "J-Link" --> "Power Log" from the EWARM main menu:
    Right click in the opened log window ->
    Choose "Enable" to enable power debugging
    4) Let the CPU run some time. Halt it --> Now you should see the consumption values in the power log (see screenshot below)

Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.