[ABANDONED] Secure chip on STM32L486 MCU

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [ABANDONED] Secure chip on STM32L486 MCU

Hi,

I need to run secure chip on the STM32L486 MCU, but the command is not available in current release of J-Flash v5.10h. Is there a plan to update J-Flash to allow option bytes for Cortex-M4 devices? When would that be approximately?

Thanks,

Henry

• Hi Henry,

The "Secure Chip" is only available for some older derivatives.
    On most current ones there is no easy "secure chip".
    Usually the devices (including the STM32L4) support multiple security levels so "secure chip" would be ambiguous.

It is recommended to perform the enable of the desired security level via the exit steps in J-Flash.
    For more info see J-Flash manual -> Device Specifics -> ST "7.6.4 STM32F4 series devices - option byte programming"

which gives an idea how to do this.

Best regards,
    Niklas
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hi Niklas,

I tried option byte programming. When execute 'auto', J-Flash goes through erase, program and verify before running the exit script.
    In this case, how do I avoid it overwriting the data already in the flash? In a way, how do I set the project that the exit script is executed, but my programmed data not being changed? This 'option byte programming' would be the last step in my program where data file downloaded, some tests executed, then read protect the chip.

Thanks,
    Henry
  • Hi Henry,

Can you please explain what you actual mean with "programmed data changed"?
    Does the entire flash is empty? Does certain areas have different values?

Basically, the exit steps do not change your programmed data, as long as they do not include steps to change them...
    The procedure is as follows
    • InitSteps() --> Prepare device (e.g. remove protection, configure clocks, configure pins etc...)
    • Erase() --> Erase device
    • Program() --> Data file
    • Verify() --> Verify programmed data
    • ExitSteps() --> Activate security
    If you just activate the security via the exit steps, no programmed data will be changed.
    If the programmed data change, your exit steps include not only the "activate security" sequence but also a sequence to change the programmed data.
    If you provide us with your J-Flash project file, we can have a look at it.

Best regards
    Erik
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.