[SOLVED] Dead J-Link EDU - or is it?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] Dead J-Link EDU - or is it?

Hi:

I have a J-Link EDU (aka J-Link base) that's doing a good imitation of completely dead.
    I'm running it on Linux with openocd.

I plug it in (on a known good USB port/cable). The LED does not come on.
    It does not show up on the USB bus (no entry with "lsusb" command)
    It used to work. There is no obvious physical damage to the unit.
    A J-Link base unit I have works fine in the same system.
    I'm thinking that my only hope may be an attempt at a firmware re-flash.

Any advice?
    Is it possible to re-flash firmware (preferably with Linux based utilities)?

Thanks,

Jason H.

• Hi Jason,

could you describe the output of the status LED one you connect the J-Link to your PC?
    Could you try to connect it to another USB Controller or, preferably, to another PC (any OS will do) and
    • describe the status LED output
    • check whether the J-Link shows up on the USB bus(linux), or in the Windows device manager?
    Best regards,
    Niklas
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • I have 2 devices J-Link EDU (not working) J-Link Base (working):

3 scenarios:

Linux + Hub USB

Linux + MB USB
    Mac + MB USB

J-Link EDU - Device LED is off (USB Hub LED is off)- doesn't show up in "lsusb"
    J-Link Base - Device LED is on (USB Hub LED is on). Shows up in "lsusb"

As I say - The J-Link EDU looks pretty dead.

Thanks,

Jason H.
  • Hi Jason,

just to make sure i understand you correctly:

Once you connect the (suspected to be faulty) J-Link EDU via USB to your Linux or Mac PC, the status LED of the J-Link (there is only one on the unit right above the SEGGER logo: example picture) stays just plain dead?

Best regards,
    Niklas

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• Hi Jason,

you need to get in contact with your seller regarding the RMA procedure.
    They probably need a short description what happened right before the unit stopped working.

Please do not hesitate to ask me if you have any further questions regarding the RMA process.

Best regards,
    Niklas