[ABANDONED] j-link edu suddenly cannot detect target mcu

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [ABANDONED] j-link edu suddenly cannot detect target mcu

Hi,
    I work on the kinetis mcu (mk64, mk50) with my own designed pcb and have been using the jlink edu. the board is connected via jtag to jlink. it used to be no problem to program my board that way. however, recently the jlink stopped recognizing the mcu on my board (neither jlink.exe nor gdbserver do). what is also very wield is the following things: when using the pcb with the mk64 as the mcu, jlink.exe can only detect the mcu if I keep the reset pin of the mcu low (the reset pin is connected to a reset button, which i have to keep pressed all the time).
    the led on the j-link does not indicate any problems as it is just green and steady without any blinking although the green light flickers. I use the kinetis design studio to program. it works without any problem when I use the evaluation board frdm64 with the onboard sda programmer. I can flash the mcu of the frdm64 board using segger gdbserver without any problem.
    hope someone can help!
    thanks in advance.
  • Hi,

which version of the J-Link software are you using? Starting with V5.10, auto detection has been removed, so a target device most be set prior to connecting to the target device.
    This change has been done on purpose as there are more and more devices out there which requires special handling and therefore the correct device / core needs to be passed to the J-Link DLL. At least to make use of the speed optimized J-Link flash loader, the DLL needs to know the device name. Not passing the correct device / core might lead to unexpected / buggy behavior on certain devices.

Could you post the output of J-Link commander here? (jlink.exe)

Best regards,
    Niklas
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • HI Niklas,
    thanks for your reply. I use Jlink version 4.98 and 5.0. In both cases the j-link edu was working fine and my board could be programmed without any problem. Just recently it stopped doing so. the only things that has been changed, is that I have upgraded from windows 7 to 10. But I have tried jlink under windows xp - without any success either.
    I have attached d the screen shots of the jlink commander window below. I use 2 boards for testing: one board is the mk50dn512cll10 as the mcu, and on the one is the mk64fn1vll12. the image jlink1.jpg shows the result for the mk50 board, image jlink_64 result for the mk64 board, and the last image shows the result for the mk64 board with the reset line kept low (by keeping pressed the reset button (nReset) of my board )
    Files
    • Desktop.zip

(121.7 kB, downloaded 429 times, last: )
  • Hi,

so the configuration stopped working immediately after upgrading to Windows 10?

Could you please give the newest version of the J-Link software & documentation pack a try?
    (Keep in mind that you have to specify a device as i previously mentioned.)

Best regards,
    Niklas

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• Hi again,
    I have tried using the newest version of jlink (5.10). still I cannot connect to the mcu. however, when keeping the nReset low, I couldn't connect to the mcu either. please take a look on the screenshots.
    regarding windows, after having installed windows 10, I haven't programmed my board for a while. I only used the frdm64 evaluation board which has been working fine. but there I don't need the jlink edu.
    Files
    • Desktop.zip

(44.87 kB, downloaded 424 times, last: )
  • Hi,

on both Screenshots it says
    Device "MK64FN1M0XXX12" selected

, which seems wrong to me. Did you select a device?

Best regards,
    Niklas

• that is already right. the screenshots are taken from the same board. the difference is that the reset line is set low by me for one test while on the other test the reset line is untouched. for the mk50 board I got the same result
    see attachment
    Images
    • jlink5.1_nReset low.PNG

24.91 kB, 591×554, viewed 568 times
  • Hi,

Could you please try the following command line with both the old (V5.0Xx) and the new (V5.10c) version of J-Link Commander?
    JLink.exe -device MK64FN1M0xxx12 -if SWD -speed 1000

Which version / revision of the FRDM board do you use?
    All versions we know do not support JTAG.

We tested V5.10c with a FRDM-K64F board (MK64FN1M0VLL12 device on it) and it works fine using SWD.

Best regards,
    Niklas

• hi,
    my board is individually designed. you are right, with the frdm64 and sda, i don't have any problem either.
    anyway, yesterday and this morning the programming all of the sudden worked. I had no problem at all. but now, it suddenly stops again. I don't have any clue why it behaves so randomly.
  • Hi,

anyway, yesterday and this morning the programming all of the sudden worked. I had no problem at all. but now, it suddenly stops again. I don't have any clue why it behaves so randomly.

This sounds confusing to me.
    Since it works fine on the eval board, I assume this is a hardware related issue.

If you can provide us with instructions on how to reproduce this issue with the eval board, we will investigate this issue.

Best regards,
    Niklas