[SOLVED] nRF52 Preview DK J-Link USB driver not found

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] nRF52 Preview DK J-Link USB driver not found

I am running Windows 7 Pro SP 1 64 bit and have gong through the tools installation procedure, in particular running nRFTools_7_7_0_Installer.exe. This ran the J-Link V5.02 installation. I selected both Install USB Driver for J-Link and Install USB Driver for J-Link with Virtual COM Port.
    When it identified the 3rd-party applications using JLinkARM.dll I selected the Keil MDK V5.17 (DLL V5.02 in "C:\Leil_v5\ARM\Segger").
    When I plug the nRF52 board into the USB port and turn it on it is recognized in the device manager under "Other devices" as "J-Link" but the device driver is not installed.
    I have redone the installation several times, both as administrator and not. I have even uninstalled my Atmel tools that were also using J-Link and cleaned the registry of references to J-Link. None of these have changed the results.
    How do I get this to work?
  • Hi,

When I plug the nRF52 board into the USB port and turn it on it is recognized in the device manager under "Other devices" as "J-Link" but the device driver is not installed.

In the device manager, if View | Devices by connection is selected, in which category is the J-Link listed?
    Could you describe the output of the status LED?
    Does the J-Link work with other PCs? (Only J-Link software & documentation pack needs to be installed)

Best regards,
    Niklas
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • It enumerates as:
    ACPI x65-based PC
    ->Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System
    -->PCI bus
    --->Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller
    ---->Intel(R) USB 3.0 Root Hub
    ----->J-link

At the J-Link level it has the yellow exclamation point. If I view the properties it says "The drivers for this device are not installed."

I tried installing the drivers through Setup_JLink_V502k.exe again today and get the same result.

The Nordic nRF52 eval board has one LED that keeps blinking on my system. When installed on another machine the board enumerates correctly and the debugger works. In that case the LED changes to solid on.
  • Hi,

The Nordic nRF52 eval board has one LED that keeps blinking on my system. When installed on another machine the board enumerates correctly and the debugger works. In that case the LED changes to solid on.

Based on this description, I would say that the J-Link is fine, since enumeration fails on one machine(indicated by the flashing LED), but succeeds on another one.
    Reasons for this behavior could be:

• Damaged USB cable
    • Malfunctioning USB Host Port or Controller (Try another port, and, if possible, another controller)
      Try to use an USB port on the backside of the computer (soldered on the mainboard), without a hub between the J-Link and the PC
    • False-positive alarm by a security- / antimaleware-program
    • Broken driver configuration (Windows configuration issue)
    Maybe it is worth the time to take a look at the installation log (DPINST.LOG in C:\Windows)

Best regards,
    Niklas

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• 1) I have tried different USB cables with the same result. Also this cable works with this board on a different computer.

2) I have tried it on all four of the USB ports on this laptop. I am not using any external USB hub.

3) I have tried doing the install with McAfee scanning turned off. Also with the same results.

4) I tried uninstalling the software related to this board again and just installing the nRFTools_7_7_0_Installer.exe which ran the J-Link V5.02 installation. When I plug the board in It enumerates as "J-Link" but still reports that no device driver is installed. Here is the DPINST.LOG entry from that attempt.

INFO: ****************************************
    INFO: 11/23/2015 11:54:35
    INFO: Product Version 2.0.1.0.
    INFO: Version: 6.0.6000
    INFO: Platform ID: 2 (NT)
    INFO: Service Pack: 0.0
    INFO: Suite: 0x0100, Product Type: 1
    INFO: Architecture: AMD64.
    INFO: Interactive Windows Station
    INFO: Command Line: '/se /q'
    INFO: ****************************************
    INFO: Current working directory: 'C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGGER\JLink_V502\USBDriver\x64'
    INFO: Running on path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGGER\JLink_V502\USBDriver\x64'
    INFO: No valid 'dpinst.xml' file provided.
    WARNING:Running on Windows Codename Longhorn, 'Add/Remove Programs' is not supported and has been disabled.
    INFO: Install option set: Running in quiet mode. Suppressing Wizard and OS popups.
    INFO: Install option set: Suppress Add or Remove Programs entries.
    INFO: Found driver package: 'C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGGER\JLink_V502\USBDriver\x64\JLinkx64.inf'.
    INFO: Preinstalling 'c:\program files (x86)\segger\jlink_v502\usbdriver\x64\jlinkx64.inf' ...
    INFO: ENTER: DriverPackagePreinstallW
    INFO: Running on Windows codenamed Longhorn.
    SUCCESS:c:\program files (x86)\segger\jlink_v502\usbdriver\x64\jlinkx64.inf is preinstalled.
    INFO: RETURN: DriverPackagePreinstallW (0x0)
    INFO: ENTER: DriverPackageGetPathW
    ERROR: DriverPackageGetPath is not yet supported for PnP drivers on LH.
    INFO: RETURN: DriverPackageGetPathW (0xA)
    INFO: ENTER: DriverPackageInstallW
    INFO: Running on Windows codenamed Longhorn.
    INFO: Installing INF file "c:\program files (x86)\segger\jlink_v502\usbdriver\x64\jlinkx64.inf" (Plug and Play).
    INFO: Looking for Model Section [DeviceList.ntamd64]...
    INFO: No matching devices found in INF "c:\program files (x86)\segger\jlink_v502\usbdriver\x64\jlinkx64.inf" on the Machine.
    INFO: No drivers installed. No devices found that match driver(s) contained in 'c:\program files (x86)\segger\jlink_v502\usbdriver\x64\jlinkx64.inf'.
    INFO: RETURN: DriverPackageInstallW (0xE000020B)
    INFO: No matching device was found for 'c:\program files (x86)\segger\jlink_v502\usbdriver\x64\jlinkx64.inf'. Driver will be installed when plugged in.
    INFO: Not creating any Add or Remove Programs entry because not supported on Longhorn yet.
    INFO: Returning with code 0x100
    INFO: 11/23/2015 11:54:38
  • Hi,

since the J-Link is working with the other machine and we have working setups with Windows Vista, we assume that this is not a problem on J-Link side.

INFO: Version: 6.0.6000

Afaik this is the build Version of Vista without SP2. Is this correct?

In the Device Manager, could you make screen shots of
    • The Device Manger
    • Right-click JLink, open "Properties" (screen shot)
    • Tab "Driver" of this properties (screen shot)
    • In the tab driver, press "Driver Details" (screen shot)
    I will then ask my colleagues from the USB department if they can identify the problem.
    Best regards,
    Niklas

• This machine is running Windows 7 Professional with Service Pack 1. I have included a screenshot of the system properties window as well.

Here are the first three images.
    Images
    • WindowsVersion.png

149.79 kB, 1,004×531, viewed 1,000 times
    • DeviceManager.png

68.3 kB, 801×576, viewed 1,339 times
    • J-LinkProperties.png

104.03 kB, 797×582, viewed 1,367 times
  • Here are two more images.

These sadly show that even though I have gone through the installation process Windows is not associating the driver with this piece of hardware.
    Images
    • J-LinkPropertiesDriver.png

110.66 kB, 798×582, viewed 1,296 times
    • J-LinkPropertiesDriverDetails.png

112.98 kB, 796×579, viewed 1,201 times
  • Hi,

I just noticed that you were installing the V5.02 package.
    The current version is V5.02l which makes use of a more current DPInst installer from Microsoft to install the USB drivers.
    As it works on one machine but not another, it may be a Windows configuration issue that may(!) be handled better by the later DPInst installer.
    Could you please give the attached USB driver a try (Just execute the InstDrivers.exe double clicking it)?
    It is extracted from a current package of the J-Link software.

If the problem persist, could you please check if there is a usb.inf present at
    C:\Windows\inf
    ?

Best regards
    Alex
    Files
    • USBDriver.zip

(870.26 kB, downloaded 1,117 times, last: )

• Hi,

It seems that the usb.inf is missing in your %systemroot%\inf folder. The J-Link on the nRF52 Preview DK is a composite device containing multiple interfaces. In order to work with it on Windows, Windows loads a composite Device driver.
    The information for this driver are in the usb.inf. Once the composite device driver is installed all other interfaces of the J-Link will be installed automatically.

In order to fix this:
    • Please copy the usb.inf from the following location: %systemroot%\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\usb.inf_*
      [eg. C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\usb.inf_amd64_neutral_42d7284868af1f40]
      to %systemroot%\inf
    • Disconnect the J-Link and re-connect it once again.
    • After that Windows should recognize the J-Link as a USB composite device and will install all the drivers for the J-Link interfaces.
    Please note: This seems to be a generic problem of Windows. Neither SEGGER nor other companies which are using SEGGER J-Link technology are responsible for this error or causing this error. This error also occurs on Windows PCs where no J-Link has ever been connected to it nor its driver has been installed on it.

Best regards,

Souhail