Wednesday, February 21st 2018, 2:17am UTC+1

You are not logged in.

• Login
  • Register

Dear visitor, welcome to SEGGER Forum. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Chop

Beginner

Date of registration: Jan 20th 2009

Tuesday, January 20th 2009, 8:36pm

embOS OS_malloc and memory usage... where's it come from?

I have a question on "third party" packages using malloc(). I am using an external RAM chip on an Infineon CPU, using embOS and emWin on a new product. I believe that emWin needs to allocate memory within a call. For instance when creating a Sprite, some memory needs to be available. The question is how do I tell emWin or embOS which and where the RAM is located in the address space?

Date of registration: Dec 20th 2007

Wednesday, January 28th 2009, 9:47am

Hi,
emWin does not allocate dynamic memory from the heap.
A heap is not required and malloc() is not used.
emWin comes with it's own memory management module.
The "dynamic" memory used by emWin can be configured using the GUI_ALLOC_* functions.
In our samples, we use the GUI_X_Init() function to allocate the memory:
#define GUI_NUMBYTES 0x100000
#define GUI_BLOCKSIZE 128

void GUI_X_Config(void) {
static U32 aMemory[GUI_NUMBYTES >> 2];
GUI_ALLOC_AssignMemory(aMemory, GUI_NUMBYTES);
GUI_ALLOC_SetAvBlockSize(GUI_BLOCKSIZE);
}
The GUI_ALLOC_AssignMemory() function takes a pointer to the base address of the memory pool.
There is no need to use a variable.
Using a variable has the advantage, that the linker controls the size and address of the memory and it can not be used twice.
Regards,
Armin