[SOLVED] OpenSDA J-Link fails in El Capitan

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] OpenSDA J-Link fails in El Capitan

I have setup J-Link OpenSDA on 2 FRDM boards (KL27 and KL25) and on yosemite (10.10) it worked fine

On El Capitan when i first connect it, it can be briefly seen in JLinkExe (w/ ShowEmuList) it will show up as J-Link OpenSDA with a serial number, however after this first run, it will then show up as J-Link with a serial number of 0, JLinkGDBServer doesn't work at all, this occurs on both boards, and i have tried change usb cables

I tested both boards on Windows and Linux as well under VM's and these worked fine as long as the usb device was immediately connected to the vm upon connection, If i ran JLinkExe on the mac and then connected it to the VM (VMware fusion) without replugging the usb then it also wouldn't work in win/lin

Source Code

1. J-Link>ShowEmuList
    2. J-Link[0]: Connection: USB, Serial number: 621000000, ProductName: J-Link OpenSDA
    3. J-Link>ShowEmuList
    4. J-Link[0]: Connection: USB, Serial number: 0, ProductName: J-Link

is an example of it in JLinkExe with a replug just before the first ShowEmuList

Both boards are running the latest OpenSDA firmware available at /opensda.html and i have tried with the j-link software/doc kits 5.0.2d 5.0.2e and 5.0.3b with no success

I also have a normal USB J-Link which works fine

The post was edited 1 time, last by xzcvczx ().

• further investigation

This may be an issue that occurs to all of the devices that also provide a CDC interface

When you attach the OpenSDA (don't have any other j-link CDC devices to test) VDCAssistant says that a new camera has been attached (as seen in /var/log/system.log) but not when the real j-link is attached, if i stop VDCAssistant then the CDC drivers aren't automatically loaded (have also tried kextunload on all the CDC.* and CDC modules but that still doesn't allow the OpenSDA j-link to work in GDBServer or JLinkExe and it still shows up as a standard j-link with a serial number of 0
  • Hi,

Sorry for the delay in response.
    This is not related to CDC, but related to a problem in the firmware which we have fixed recently.
    We are currently finalizing a bigger change, so the firmware will probably not be available today, but tomorrow.

Will get back to you regarding this, tomorrow at the latest.

Best regards
    Alex
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • OK was done earlier than expected.
    New firmware images can be downloaded from here:
    segger.com/opensda.html#FirmwareImages

Depending on your cache settings, you may need to hit F5 (reload), to see the new links.
    Date in the links will show "2015-10-06".

These versions come with the fix for OS X El Capitan.
    Short feedback would be appreciated.

Best regards
    Alex

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• Thanks the new version works, just a couple of things i have noticed

On starting JLinkExe and/or JLinkGDBServer it will show up as J-Link OpenSDA with a serial number of 621XXXXX but with showEmuList it will show up as J-Link with a serial number of 123456 which can be a bit confusing if you have multiple J-Links connected

also at the moment the package installs the apps into /Applications/SEGGER/ with el cap, i assume this was changed from usr due to the new security stuff in el cap, apple has said that /usr/local is still available outside of the security stuff as long as it exists (which it does on a default install) would it not be a better idea to install here, (if /usr/local exists) or at least give the user the option

thanks
  • Hi,

Serial number: You cannot have multiple OpenSDAs connected anyhow because all report the same S/N.
    Regarding the S/N issue you see: Can you please power cycle your OpenSDA? It should only report 12345 on the USB level at the very first startup after programming the FW via the SDA bootloader.

Regarding the installation:
    The path of the installation has not been changed. Only the symbolic links were placed at /usr/bin in previous versions and are now moved to /usr/local/bin
    Anyhow, we will check internally if it makes sense to change anything here.

- Alex