How to erase Atmel SAM4LC8 after setting security bit

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How to erase Atmel SAM4LC8 after setting security bit

Hi all,

in our application, we use a Atmel SAM4LC8 that we would like to re-program ("update") in the field.
    We use a Segger Flasher ARM to initially program the micro controller.
    In the software, the security bit is set. After this, the only way to re-program the device is sending an "Erase" instruction.
    When we send an "erase" instruction in Atmel Studio 6.2, we can re-program the device without any problems.

Now we would like to re-program the device with J-Flash (later with the "AUTO" function), but it seems that it can only be programmed / erased when a connection to the device is made.
    It is not possible to connect (Target-> Connect) to the device when the security bit is set.
    Is there a work-around for this problem? Is there a way to send the erase instruction without verification?
    We have to regularly update our products in the field, so in the future we want to do this with the Flasher ARM Portable.

Thanks in advance
  • Hi,

After setting the security bit, you are no longer able to connect to the target via JTAG / SWD correct?
    A special sequence needs to be performed in order to send the erase command. This is currently not supported. We can add this as feature request on our internal ToDo but unfortunately I can not provide you with any fixed time schedule right now.

Would you like to be added to the J-Link software and update notification list, so you will get informed automatically about new versions / features?

- Erik
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hi Erik,

that is correct, after setting the security bit we cannot longer use the "Connect..." function in J-Flash.

please do add me to the software and update notifications, so we can implement this in the future as soon as it is available.

We really would like to use the stand-alone "Flasher Portable" to do in-the-field updates.

For now, we'll just have to do it by hand.

Thanks for your reply.
  • I have informed the product manager about this request and put it on our ToDo. Furthermore I have added you to the notification system.

Best regards
    Erik

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• Is there already an update about this issue?
    We really need the erase function now because sometimes, a DUT in a testfixture needs to be re-programmed after a fix in the pcb.
    It's annoying to have an additional programming environment at our PCB assembly house just to erase the DUT's before we can program them again.
  • No. Due to the fact that there are many other requests and we have only a limited amount of resources, we have to set priorities. Unfortunately, the demand on this feature is not really high and therefore, we can not assign a high priority to it. However, i will bring this topic up in the next team meeting. We may can squeeze this in within the next two weeks but i can not promise this at the moment.

Best regards
    Erik