[DUPLICATE] Jlink with xmc1300 boot kit

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [DUPLICATE] Jlink with xmc1300 boot kit

I am using xmc1300 boot kit CPU-13A-V1 with DAVE 3 for my target board with XMC1302 (infineon) microcontroller.
    On some of the boards connectivity is proper and debugging is possible.
    However in some boards there is a connectivity issue.

SEGGER J-Link Commander V4.98c ('?' for help)
    Compiled Apr 23 2015 20:22:10
    DLL version V4.98c, compiled Apr 23 2015 20:21:50
    Firmware: J-Link Lite-XMC4200 Rev.1 compiled Nov 28 2014 17:08:37
    Hardware: V1.00
    S/N: 591003749
    VTarget = 3.300V
    Info: TotalIRLen = ?, IRPrint = 0x..000000000000000000000000
    No devices found on JTAG chain. Trying to find device on SWD.
    No device found on SWD.
    Failed to identify target. Trying again with slow (4 kHz) speed.
    No devices found on JTAG chain. Trying to find device on SWD.
    No device found on SWD.
    No device found at all. Selecting JTAG as default target interface.

I took the following steps(with same result):
    1. Took out the jumper from USB supply and gave a separate 3.3V to the target. There is a provision for this on the boot kit. This eliminates the possibility of overloading of USB supply by target.
    2. A fresh processor was soldered on the target.
    3. All components were removed from target board except for the uC with SWD interface.

SWDIO and SWDCLK trace lengths are very short. ( No problem with signal integrity)

I am considering purchase of J-link (debug probe). Would this eliminate the problem?
    As per Section 1.6 of user manual " Having the intelligence in the firmware leads to improved stability and higher performance."Could this be the cause of SWD communication failure?
    Would the J-link probe work with DAVE 3?

Thank you.
  • Hi,

We are not aware of any connection issues with J-Link and XMC1302. We have some XMC1100 Boot Kits (XMC1302 device on it) here in house where connection works just fine using J-Link.
    I am considering purchase of J-link (debug probe). Would this eliminate the problem?
    We can not guarantee that using a J-Link solves the issue as we do not know why connection does seem not work on some of your boards. You could measure the SWD interface signals when connecting to the board using J-Link in order to check if the issue is related to bad signal quality. If you could provide us a snapshot of the signals, we could check them for you.

Just for clarification:
    You see this behavior on some boards only correct?
    Would the J-link probe work with DAVE 3?
    Yes. We will add Dave 3 to the list of supported IDEs (segger.com/jlink-ide-integration.html) on our website as well but we had no time for it so far.

- Erik
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Addition note:
    The boot kits, we have here in house are configured to boot in SWD0 mode, which allows J-Link to connect to it. By default, Infineon has decided to deliver empty devices in UART boot mode. This might be explain the connection issues. So far, the boot mode can be configured using J-Link OB and J-Link Commander (command: setbmimode <Mode>), only. We plan to add this functionality to the "normal" J-Link models (J-Link Plus, Pro, etc...) too but so far we do not have any fixed time schedule.

- Erik

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• Hello Erik,
    Thanks for your reply.
    I tried a few steps, as follows:
    1. A J-link debugger was used instead of the boot kit. It did not resolve the problem.
    2. However, if BMI is correctly set, both - the J link debugger and Boot kit can program flash.
    3. Again, the problem is - that sometimes the BMI cannot be set. Out of a lot of 100 boards, you would have 15-20 boards whose BMI cannot be set. These boards are set aside. If the same thing is tried - maybe a day later, you would have BMI set in all the remaining boards. Once BMI is set, the flash programming speed can be done at 4Mhz.
    We have ruled out: solder issues, PCB trace/via issues, connectivity issues.
    4. To conclude - its just that the BMI setting communication is unstable.All boards with proper BMI settings could be programmed.
    Anything that I could do to ensure proper SWD comm.
    Lines used for programming: Vcc = 3.3V, SWDIO, SWDCLK,GND.
  • I guess you refer to setting the boot mode using the J-Link OB, correct?
    In general, we are not aware of any instabilities regarding this. We will check if reproducible.
    Anyhow, the extension to set the BMI mode using the "normal" J-Link is planned to be available by the end of this month.

- Erik

• SEGGER - Erik wrote:

I guess you refer to setting the boot mode using the J-Link OB, correct?
    In general, we are not aware of any instabilities regarding this. We will check if reproducible.
    Anyhow, the extension to set the BMI mode using the "normal" J-Link is planned to be available by the end of this month.

- Erik
    We have been using XMC1300 J-Link Lite Bootkit to Get/Set BMI, Program and Debug XMC1302. We have ordered four new XMC1300 J-Link Lite Bootkits last month. With our old bootkit (the same model but previously ordered than these four), we were able to do all these three operations. But I am afraid to let you know that we are not able to Get/Set BMI from these new Kits though we are able to program and debug. The error states that we have to update the driver, we also did that. Now the driver is up-to-date. FYI, this problem lies in both DAVE 3.1.8 and DAVE 4.1.2.We are quite an old customer of Segger and Infineon, so I kindly request you to help us resolve this issue as soon as possible. @Erik: You posted the Quoted text in 2015. Is your month ended now or will it take another two years to end it? :)

Thanks in advance.

Shaunak Agastya Vyas

The post was edited 1 time, last by shaunakvyas1 ().