[SOLVED] J-Link DLL Update Renesas e2Studio

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] J-Link DLL Update Renesas e2Studio

I'm using a J-Link Ultra+ with the Renesas e2Studio. I"ve downloaded and installed the latest J-link software (currently 4.98e) and I"m able to use the toolset.

When I connect to the J-Link through the e2Studio, it is still using the 4.84a DLL that shipped with the e2Studio. If I run the J-Link DLL Updater, it doesn't list e2Studio as something that can be updated.

Is it ok to simply drop the new J-LInk driver into the e2Studio install to update?
  • Hi,

The J-Link DLL updated does not support e2Studio so far. We added "installation detection for e2Studio" to our internal ToDo list but so far without any fixed time schedule.
    Is it ok to simply drop the new J-LInk driver into the e2Studio install to update?
    Yes. You can check the location of the used J-Link DLL by opening the J-Link Control Panel (small green icon in the windows task bar during a debug session in e2Studio is active) --> General tab --> DLL

- Erik
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Renesas e2Studio

Hi,

hi have replaced these files:
    C:\Renesas\e2_studio\DebugComp\ARM\Segger\JLinkARM.dll

C:\Renesas\e2_studio\DebugComp\JLink_ARM\JLinkARM.dll
    C:\Renesas\e2_studio\DebugComp\JLink_ARM\(other files inside this dir)

and the location of the used J-Link DLL is now showng correct value V498e

please tds if you plan to use the V500x version of dll send me a feedback, i have problems with this version with e2studio, only the V498e work for me.

Toni.
  • I'm successfully using 5.00c with e2Studio 4.x for an RX63N.

I copy JLinkARM.dll from C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGGER\JLink_V500c
    to C:\Renesas\e2_studio4\DebugComp\RX\Segger. I then rename JLinkARM.dll to JLink.dll.

Hope that helps.
  • @Toni Do you still see any issues or can we consider this thread as solved?

- Erik

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• I have tested today the v500i and is working with a good speed improvement, see attached images,
    just one minor issue: with v498e from jlink commander was possible to erase the flash with command erase:

J-Link>erase
    Erasing device (R7S721001)...
    Info: J-Link: Flash download: Total time needed: 150.412s (Prepare: 3.187s, Compare: 0.000s, Erase: 144.718s, Program: 0
    .000s, Verify: 0.000s, Restore: 2.505s)
    Erasing done.
    J-Link>

now with the v500i the command does nothing:

J-Link>erase
    Erasing device (R7S721001)...
    Erasing done.
    J-Link>

Toni.
  • Hi Toni,

Thank you for the positive feedback!
    just one minor issue: with v498e from jlink commander was possible to erase the flash with command erase:
    In the old version, flash programming was support for one specific QSPI flash only. Versions >= 5.00 uses the generic QSPI flash programming support which allows to program any cummon QSPI flash conencted to the R7S721001. As customers may connect any peripheral to the SPI pins (they are not forced to use them for the QSPI flash), we are not allowed to toggle the QSPI pins in order to determine if a flash is connected and if so which type / size.

Anyhow, we have already on our ToDo list to add a command which allows customers to explicitly enable erase for particular flash banks. Unfortunately, I can not provide any fixed time schedule for this right now as we are busy with some other projects.

Best regards
    Erik