J-link connection problem to Freescale KL03

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• J-link connection problem to Freescale KL03

Hi,

I had an odd problem recently with a J-Link Ultra in trying to connect to a Freescale
    KL03Z. In the mean time it has been solved but I wonder how.

I am using the Freescale KDS 2.0.0, the GDB client and the Segger GDB server.
    I could get everything to work except connecting to the KL03Z device on my FRDM-KL03Z board.
    The GDB client connected to the server as expected and the link from there to the J-link ultra worked as well.

After several hours of trying I started using the J-Link commander which connected equally well to the J-Link Ultra device.
    I observed it trying to connect to the KL03Z device using all possible methods: JTAG, SWD, ... but none of it worked.
    Instead of using the FRDM board I then tried connecting to our prototype hardware but got the same result for a number of hours.

Then I tried to see if I got any SWD clock signals using a scope.
    I also changed the speed setting to automatic and restarted the J-link commander.
    Again it tried all connection methods and this time it succeeded and came up with a connection speed of 100 kHz. ?(

Ever since then everything works OK, including debugging in the KDS etc...

Could it be that changing the speed and restarting J-Link commander did the trick ?
    If so, I know what to do if I run into problems again.

Any info much appreciated.
  • Hi,

In this case, a post mortem analyze is almost impossible as there can be many different reason which might have caused this behavior.
    Again it tried all connection methods and this time it succeeded and came up with a connection speed of 100 kHz. ?(
    This sounds like bad target interface signal quality, the target reference voltage was not stable or too low (e.g. bad wire), a bad application was running in the target which does interact with the debug pins etc....

In general, we recommend to pass the interface settings via command line to the J-Link Commander on start up as for example:
    JLink.exe -device MKL03Z8xxx4 -if SWD -speed 4000

- Erik
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.