TI RM48x/RM46x Flash ECC Programming

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• TI RM48x/RM46x Flash ECC Programming

On the TI RM48x and RM46x MCUs, I have found that when blank sectors are written (e.g. a large block of 0xFF data after the program data) the ECC memory is not written for these blank sectors. I am using the loadbin j-link commander command, with a binary that contains large sections of 0xFF data. This causes faults when trying to read these sections of memory with the flash ECC enabled, which is undesirable. If I use my bootloader to load the same image, the ECC is correctly programmed.

Is there a way to force the j-link to write the ECC for these sectors?
  • Hi,

Currently not. The J-Link DLL skips flash programming for sectors which does not contain data (only 0xFF). In general, this should not cause any issues as the sectors do not contain any valid application data. Do you experience any issues caused by this behavior?

- Erik
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Erik,
    Thank you for the reply. Yes, at the moment it is because I am trying to verify the entire memory contents at run time (CRC32) and it contains empty sectors, which causes a hard fault with the ECC enabled.
    - Ed
  • Hi Ed,

I am not familiar with the ECC controller of the RM48x but is it not possible to check the sectors which contain valid data only? You could perform something like a blank check and if sectors is blank --> skip CRC check. Anyhow, I will check internally if we may add an command to disable the J-Link DLL flash loader optimization.

- Erik
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.