J-Link and Linux gdbserver

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• J-Link and Linux gdbserver

Hello, I was pointed with my question to this forum and now I hope getting help.
    We have some J-link devices available at our company. We got it with some development kits.
    Now we are looking if the J-links can be used under a Linux based development environment.
    What we are looking for is a gdb-server running on Linux.
    Whoever wrote the J-link gdb-server for Windows, can you please tell us if there are plans for a Linux solution?

Regards
    Heinz
  • Hello Yumbrad,

just for my understanding:
    When you develop on a Linux host, can't you connect to the GDB Server running on an other (Windows) machine (via TCP/IP) and would
    not that be a solution ? Or running the GDB Server in a virtual Windows machine on the same physical machine ?
    Or is the problem simply that you do not want to use Windows at all ?

Thanks,
    Mike
  • Yeah, mainly it's simplicity and convenience - to be able to use one Linux laptop with emacs, gdb, and a gdb-server. In theory a virtual Linux in an XP box or vice versa could do it, but then you need a windows license and are wasting cpu and ram on Windows. A linux gdb-server would be much cleaner and we wouldn't need to upgrade to Quad cores :) .. Emacs + gdb or VIM + gdb is a very efficient and pluggable "IDE"!

(I'm looking into running cygwin-x + emacs and xterms, but have had a few crashes and the releases of software are behind the mainstream linux versions...)
  • Hi all,

We have just released a new version for Linux in which also a command line version of the GDB server is available:
    segger.com/download_jlink.html

Best regards
    Alex
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.