SEGGER Real Time Terminal - timestamp?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• SEGGER Real Time Terminal - timestamp?

Hello,

SEGGER Real Time Terminal sounds quite good and it makes sense.
    Only thing that I'm missing is time stamping of received messages.
    Is there a possibility to enable/add that? Or is there maybe some other terminal with this possibility?

Kind Regards,
    Matjaž
  • Hello Matja,

currently there is no way to enable timestamps in RTT, but to include them from target side.
    The data is read as often as possible from PC side, however, fast targets easily exceed the limits of the PC, thus several data written by the application at different times would be labeled with the same timestamp on PC side.

If you want to add timestamps on PC side regardless of this issue, you have the following options:

a) Writing your own RTT application using the J-Link SDK: segger.com/jlink-sdk.html [8.08.06 on the price list: segger.com/pricelist-j-link-related.html]
    b) Writing an application that takes the RTT data from stdout and adds timestamps.

Best regards,
    Niklas
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hello Niklas,

Thank you for your response. I was hoping that there is some hidden setting in RTT viewer.

I'm aware that timing cannot be accurate to milliseconds but is still valuable information.
    I did quick demo using RTT + ExtraPuTTY - witch supports timestamps. Results are in attached image.
    Maybe someone else will find this useful.

Kind Regards,
    Matjaz
    Images
    • RTT.png

26.34 kB, 666×402, viewed 2,417 times
  • Hello Matjaz,

Thank you for sharing your results with PuTTY.
    You are right, this information can sometimes be very valuable.
    We will add timestamps to RTT Viewer in a future version, too.

Best regards
    Johannes
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.