[SOLVED] Most of my variables are missing in J-Scope

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] Most of my variables are missing in J-Scope

The greater part of the variables and
    symbols which are available in my debugger are just missing in the
    "J-Skope Symbol Selection". When I change something completely different
    in the sourcecode, some of them appear
    and others vanish.

I use the arm-none-eabi gcc compiler for
    a stm32 controller, with J-Link SW Version:
    V4.96

Also arrays and structs seem to be
    missing completely.

Is there a somehow a possibility that I
    could add the address for the symbol manually, then I could just copy it from the debugger?
  • Hi,
    Also arrays and structs seem to be missing completely.
    a new Version of J-Scope, which includes arrays and structs during symbol selection, is currently tested internally, and will be released soon.
    When I change something completely different in the sourcecode, some of them appear and others vanish.
    We are not aware of such an issue. Can you provide sample code (or, if possible, your code), so we can reproduce the error?
    Is there a somehow a possibility that I could add the address for the symbol manually, then I could just copy it from the debugger?
    I added this to the wish list.

Best regards,
    Niklas
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hi,
    We are not aware of such an issue. Can you provide sample code (or, if possible, your code), so we can reproduce the error?
    Its difficult to send the whole sourcecode, because it’s about 150k loc, and a kind of
    hard to set-up project, but I could send you the .elf file and some pieces of
    the code where you would see the variables which made it into J-Scope and some that are missing for no reason.

If it is possible it would be helpful if you could add another topic to the wishlist:
    I would need a real-time-access to the data shown in J-Scope. Kind like the export function, but in real time, via a tcp-port for example.

With that I could observe for e.g. my statemachines in real-time, and could translate the state-numbers into
    names with a script, and would immediately see if the states react correctly to the reality.

Also a Tcp-Output for the SWO-Viewer would do it.
  • Hi,

As already communicated via e-mail, according to the .elf file, the missing variables were located at 0x0.
    This usually means that the variable has been removed during the optimization by the compiler and cannot be accessed at any memory address.

Best regards,
    Niklas
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.