[SOLVED] Flasher ARM vs Flasher Portable

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] Flasher ARM vs Flasher Portable

I am trying to figure out which flashing tool is going to be best for production scenario and it seems that there are two devices that answer our needs:
    Flasher ARM and Flasher Portable. The Portable seem to be cost significantly less than ARM one.
    We are using NXP LPC4357 (Cortex M4) micros.

Are there any disadvantages for selecting Portable over ARM?

Also, can the Portable be used in conjunction with PC (i.e. not standalone)?

The post was edited 1 time, last by TheRookie ().

• Hmmm... interesting.
    Called Segger and their response over the phone was "go for Portable if you don't want Ethernet as otherwise these flashers are identical".
    Several minutes later got an email stating that "For production purpose we recommend the Flasher ARM".

Isn't it a bit funny? :)
  • Hi,

Maybe there was a misunderstanding during the call... I do not know, as I do not know who you talked to.
    But in general Flasher ARM makes more sense in production, as a lot of customers need the stand-alone functionality, just controlling Flasher ARM via RS232 signals.

In general:

Flasher ARM:
    For ARM devices only (ARM7/9, Cortex-M, ...)
    Can be controlled via: J-Flash, RS232, Ethernet, button press
    Main purpose: Automated production

Flasher Portable
    Combination of Flasher ARM, PPC, RX
    Can be controlled via: J-Flash, button press
    Main purpose: In-field updating of products. No production automation needed.

Flasher PRO:
    Combination of Flasher ARM, PPC, RX
    Can be controlled via: J-Flash, RS232, Ethernet, button press
    Main purpose: Automated production

So I do not think that the answer you got, is funny at all.
    It depends on your needs and from your initial post, I have no idea what needs you have (production automation, in-field updating, ...), except what micro you are using...

- Alex
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • The device is to be used in production.

There are two ways to use the device in our production setup:
    1. By "intelligent operator" - the operator knows a lot about flash programming and want J-Flash interface.
    2. By "regular operator"- the operator is not interested in details - all they want is to see Pass/Fail response.

There is no automation in this setup.

I have ordered Flasher Portable and it seem to be working as expected by our production team.
  • Hi,

Alright, thanks for clarifying.
    Yes, for your setup, Flasher Portable makes absolutely sense.

- Alex
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.