RTT multiple channels

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• RTT multiple channels

Hi!

I just stumbled upon Segger's RTT implementation.
    I am really impressed with it.

There is only 1 question:
    It mentions that there is an opportunity to have multiple channels, aka. multiple up/down buffers.
    But the J-link RTT Client does not seem to read from it.

What is the intention of having multiple buffers then?

SEGGER_RTT.c says:

Source Code

1. RTT channel 0 is always present and reserved for Terminal usage Name is fixed to "Terminal"

So I reckon there is some API to address the debugger hardware to read out the other buffers as well?

Thanks!
  • Hi,

Thanks for "the flowers".

So I reckon there is some API to address the debugger hardware to read out the other buffers as well?

Yes, there is. Can be accessed via the J-Link SDK.
    The RTT Client does not read other channels than 0 because it is undefined in what format data comes over there... this would probably result in garbage being shown...
    The RTT client is *an example* for using RTT for printf. As said, it is just an example for what RTT can be used.

We are currently working on a utility called RTT-Logger which will capture data on channel 1 and just store it to a file (just in binary form as it comes from the target, so a third party application can evaluate this data)
    The executable will be part of one of the next J-Link software versions.
    The source code will be available for J-Link SDK Users.

- Alex
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hi,

How about subscribing to the J-Link software update and notification list?
    You will then get informed automatically, when a new version becomes available (and what new features / fixes come with it)
    segger.com/notification/subscribe.php?prodid=7

- Alex
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.