Failed to Read CPUID ADI CM320

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Failed to Read CPUID ADI CM320

Hi,

I flashed some code that configures the core clock incorrectly to 20 MHz instead of 80 MHz. At some point I found that I could no longer download and debug code with IAR. I keep getting the errors below. I'm not sure if the 20 MHz has anything to do with it but I thought I'd mention it because the same firmware running on a previous version of the silicon still connects/debugs/runs just fine at 80. I have another chip of the new silicon and it behaves the same way.

From J-Link Commander I can halt, single-step, and go although you can see that it fails at first and then connects at slower speed.

I tried JFlash for the heck of it. Using the project for this device I tried to have it erase the chip but it fails saying that it could not write to RAM (I can connect-only using IAR and write to RAM).

Thanks for reading,

Kenny

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SEGGER J-Link Commander V4.86b ('?' for help)
    Compiled Jun 27 2014 20:11:09
    DLL version V4.86b, compiled Jun 27 2014 20:11:00
    Firmware: J-Link V9 compiled May 23 2014 19:21:14
    Hardware: V9.00
    S/N: 609300309
    Feature(s): RDI, FlashBP, FlashDL, JFlash, GDB
    VTarget = 3.250V
    Info: TotalIRLen = ?, IRPrint = 0x..000000000000000000000000
    Info: TotalIRLen = ?, IRPrint = 0x..000000000000000000000000
    No devices found on JTAG chain. Trying to find device on SWD.
    Info: Found SWD-DP with ID 0x2BA01477
    No device found on SWD.
    Trying to find device on FINE interface.
    No device found on FINE interface.
    Did not find any core.
    Failed to identify target. Trying again with slow (4 kHz) speed.
    No devices found on JTAG chain. Trying to find device on SWD.
    Info: Found Cortex-M3 r2p1, Little endian.
    Info: FPUnit: 2 code (BP) slots and 0 literal slots
    Cortex-M3 identified.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

IAR Output

Mon Jun 30, 2014 18:07:00: Device "ADUCM320" selected (256 KB flash, 32 KB RAM).
    Mon Jun 30, 2014 18:07:00: DLL version: V4.86b, compiled Jun 27 2014 20:11:00
    Mon Jun 30, 2014 18:07:00: Firmware: J-Link V9 compiled May 23 2014 19:21:14
    Mon Jun 30, 2014 18:07:00: Selecting SWD as current target interface.
    Mon Jun 30, 2014 18:07:00: JTAG speed is fixed to: 6000 kHz
    Mon Jun 30, 2014 18:07:00: Found SWD-DP with ID 0x2BA01477
    Mon Jun 30, 2014 18:07:00: Found Cortex-M3 r2p1, Little endian.
    Mon Jun 30, 2014 18:07:00: FPUnit: 2 code (BP) slots and 0 literal slots
    Mon Jun 30, 2014 18:07:01: Core did not halt after reset, manually halting CPU...
    Mon Jun 30, 2014 18:07:01: Warning: CPU could not be halted
    Mon Jun 30, 2014 18:07:01: Warning: CPU did not halt after reset.
    Mon Jun 30, 2014 18:07:01: Hardware reset with strategy 0 was performed
    Mon Jun 30, 2014 18:07:01: Initial reset was performed
    Mon Jun 30, 2014 18:07:01: Warning: CPU could not be halted
    Mon Jun 30, 2014 18:07:05: Fatal error: Failed to read CPUID for Cortex device Session aborted!
    Mon Jun 30, 2014 18:07:05: Failed to load flash loader: C:\Program Files (x86)\IAR Systems\Embedded Workbench 7.0\arm\config\flashloader\AnalogDevices\FlashADuCM320.flash
  • For posterity:

This issue was caused by configuring the GPIO pin that also determines the boot mode as an output (P2.3/BM). The released silicon retains the configuration of I/O through a software reset by default and it caused the bootloader to be invoked. The previous silicon did not have this feature.

Another bit that is somewhat confusing for this ADI part is that you must use reset strategy 7 "Halt after Kernel". In IAR it is called "Halt after Bootloader", which is the name of another reset strategy. In IARs log you can see that reset strategy 7 is indeed being used.

Can't seem to get the code formatting to work correctly. I've edited the snippet below several times and in preview it puts it back. Had this happen before. Seems to happen pasting from VMWare Fusion into Chrome running on the Apple side. This is getting meta.

Source Code

1. // Disable pin configuration retention on software or watchdog reset.ADI_RESET->RSTKEY = 0x2009;
    2. ADI_RESET->RSTKEY = 0x0426;
    3. RSTCFG_GPIO_PLA_RETAIN_BBA = 1;
  • Hi Kenny,

You do not have to explicitly select the reset strategy.
    Selecting the device in J-ink Commander will do it.
    The correct reset will be selected / performed automatically.
    This reset strategy type thing is somewhat deprecated and from earlier days.
    Nowadays almost every device has its own reset type (nothing is more non-standard than reset...)
    so making the selection automatically based on the device selection is the only doable way.

Unfortunately, for the ADuC devices you have to be somewhat careful, since it is indeed possible to lock yourself out of the device (via bad code etc.)
    without giving J-Link a chance to regain control over the device. It is device dependent if the vendor implemented a recovery procedure for devices on which bad code is running that locks out the debugger (incorrect PLL init, low power modes immediately entered after reset, ...)

Best regards
    Alex
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hi Alex,
    Are you saying that no matter what the reset setting is in IAR, that as long as the device is configured as an ADuCM320, the jlink will know what type of reset to perform no matter what the IAR setting is?
    Regards,
    Alexandru
  • Hi Alexandru,

No, that's not exactly what I am saying...
    As long as the reset strategy is not explicitly set, or set to normal (0), J-Link will use the reset that matches best for the selected device.
    If another reset type is selected, usually J-Link tries to use this one, unless it is known by the DLL to be fatally failing for this device (not each reset is compatible to each device).
    Anyhow, you should only explicitly select reset types if you know exactly what you are doing, since otherwise it is somewhat like asking for trouble.

For example for the NXP LPC18xx / 43xx series, some reset types are explicitly rejected by the DLL and default to "normal", if they are selected, since these incompatible types may mess up the complete debug session.
    We are working on completing this for other devices too (like the ADuCM320 which effectively only works with "halt after kernel" / "normal"), but this has not been done for all devices yet.

- Alex
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.