Wednesday, May 23rd 2018, 3:27am UTC+2

You are not logged in.

  • Login
  • Register

Dear visitor, welcome to SEGGER Forum. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Larry

Beginner

Date of registration: Jun 6th 2014

Posts: 5

1

Tuesday, June 10th 2014, 8:51pm

[SOLVED] Eclipse gdb debugging

I'm trying to set up a J-Link for debugging from Eclipse via the gdb server. When Eclipse launches the debugger it connects to the gdb server and flashes the code, but Eclipse doesn't show any debug information (registers, source, etc.) in the IDE windows. However, I can type gdb commands into the Eclipse debugger command window and everything works as expected. From the command window I can step through my code, set breakpoints, see variables and registers, and the gdb client even shows the correct source lines--but only in the command window, not the IDE windows.

I do see a message in the J-Link GDB Server window indicating "WARNING: Unknown packet received: "qXfer:threads:read::0,fff". Does anyone know the implications of this? Could it be related the the problem I'm having? Is anyone else seeing this?

I see the same behavior running on both Windows 7 and Fedora 20 Linux, and on two separate PCs. I've also tried a couple of different Arm toolchains, and all behave the same.

I'm using:

Eclipse Kepler SP2 (4.3.2) w/CDT 8.3.0 (current versions, downloaded last week)
J-Link GDB Server V4.86
Arm Cortex-M0 (Cypress PSoC 4245)
Toolchain from
https://launchpad.net/gcc-arm-embedded
GNU ARM Eclipse plugins from http://gnuarmeclipse.livius.net/blog/

I've also tried the toolchain from Cypress PSoc Creator 3.1 and get the same results.

Web searches suggest that lots of people are successfully using Eclipse and the J-Link for ARM development and debugging, so I expect this is a simple case of operator error or misconfiguration, but I've had a heck of a time trying to figure it out. Hence my plea to the users of this forum for any help or advice you might care to give.

Thanks,
- Larry

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Larry" (Jun 10th 2014, 8:57pm)


Larry

Beginner

Date of registration: Jun 6th 2014

Posts: 5

2

Wednesday, June 11th 2014, 3:01am

GDB client protocol error

New info:

The gdb client shows this:

170,714 31-list-thread-groups
170,718 31^error,msg="Protocol error: qXfer:threads:read (threads) conflicting enabled responses."

This seems to suggest a disconnect between the protocol handling between the gdb client and the J-Link gdb server.

Is anyone successfully using the J-Link gdb server with the gnu arm plugin (or others)? If so, can you share your version numbers so I can try to match?

- Larry

Fano

Beginner

Date of registration: Jun 11th 2014

Posts: 9

3

Wednesday, June 11th 2014, 2:02pm

I have the same exact problem. I am trying to debug over a MCB1750 board with an LPC1758 cpu.
Toolchain version: 2014-q1.

Maybe any compatibility issue?

Thank you for any advice.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Fano" (Jun 11th 2014, 2:04pm)


Larry

Beginner

Date of registration: Jun 6th 2014

Posts: 5

4

Wednesday, June 11th 2014, 2:37pm

Eclipse gdb debugging

I also tried toolchain 4.7-2013-q3 and Eclipse Juno with the same results.
Maybe it's time to try an older J-Link GDB Server version?

SEGGER - Alex

Super Moderator

Date of registration: Dec 18th 2007

Posts: 1,516

5

Wednesday, June 11th 2014, 2:48pm

Hi Larry,

We already found the problem.
This has unfortunately be introduced in the latest version by supporting some additional GDB commands.
A fixed version comes later this week (probably tomorrow)

Sorry for any inconveniences caused.


Best regards
Alex

Larry

Beginner

Date of registration: Jun 6th 2014

Posts: 5

6

Wednesday, June 11th 2014, 3:11pm

Eclipse gdb debugging

Great news!
In the meantime, what is the latest version without this problem?
Is downgrading J-Link software easy, or am I likely to have problems such that it's better to wait a day or two for the new version?
- Larry

Fano

Beginner

Date of registration: Jun 11th 2014

Posts: 9

7

Wednesday, June 11th 2014, 4:48pm

Yeah!
8o

I'm waiting for a solution too!

Thank you.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Fano" (Jun 11th 2014, 5:39pm)


SEGGER - Alex

Super Moderator

Date of registration: Dec 18th 2007

Posts: 1,516

8

Wednesday, June 11th 2014, 7:40pm

Hi,

Usually, it is just installing an older version, that's it.
Anyhow, we have released V4.86a in which this problem has been solved.

http://www.segger.com/jlink-software.html


- Alex

Larry

Beginner

Date of registration: Jun 6th 2014

Posts: 5

9

Wednesday, June 11th 2014, 9:07pm

Eclipse gdb debugging - works with 4.86a

Version 4.86a is working for me.
Thanks for the quick fix!
- Larry

Fano

Beginner

Date of registration: Jun 11th 2014

Posts: 9

10

Thursday, June 12th 2014, 9:47am

Fixed!

Thank you!

-Stefano

Date of registration: Dec 5th 2012

Posts: 2

11

Friday, June 13th 2014, 1:12am

Just encountered this issue today. Thanks for the quick fix!