USB driver "installation not possible"

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• USB driver "installation not possible"

Hi,

when I attach a Infineon XMC1100 Demoboard with a J-Link Lite, the USB driver installation dialog says the the driver installation is not possible, because the software wasn't found (German text: Hardwareinstallation nicht möglich. Die Hardware wurde nicht installiert, weil die erforderliche Software nicht gefunden wurde).

It does not help to point the installation to the driver in JLinkARM_V482\USBDriver\x86

The J-Link lite worked before, the problem started after the following steps:
    • Update from 4.76e to 4.82
    • Update J-Link Lite firmware
    • Uninstalling 4.82 (installed as admin)
    • Installing 4.82 as other user to get the correct registry entries
    Any hint? I have no clue what's going wrong here. Im testing on an old Win XP System.

Oliver
  • more information:

I removed the old drivers and installed 4.74, now it seems to work.

The only difference is the InstDrivers.exe (4.74: 2013-07-17, 4.84: 2014-03-28) and InstDriversCDC.exe file. The USB drivers are identical. Strange...

Maybe the newer InstDrivers.exe have problems with my system.

Oliver
  • Hi,

We are also testing the J-Link software on Windows XP for backward compatible.
    It is backward compatible to Windows 2000.
    Anything special about your system we should know? (XP 64-bit, other language than English/German, ...)

- Alex
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hi,

Not reproducible here... I also have one test PC with Windows XP 32-bit here and a bunch of VMs, also using XP and I do not see any problems on any of them.

when I attach a Infineon XMC1100 Demoboard with a J-Link Lite,

I think you are referring to "J-Link-OB" here. J-Link LITE is something different...

LITE: Separate probe that comes with an eval board
    OB: On-board version of J-Link which is (as the name says...) on-board and so *not* a separate probe.

When installing the software, did you make sure that this checkbox was checked?:

- Alex

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• SEGGER - Alex wrote:

when I attach a Infineon XMC1100 Demoboard with a J-Link Lite,

I think you are referring to "J-Link-OB" here. J-Link LITE is something different...

LITE: Separate probe that comes with an eval board
    OB: On-board version of J-Link which is (as the name says...) on-board and so *not* a separate probe.

In J-Link config, it's displayed as SEGGER J-Link Lite-XMC4200 V1.00. It's on the same board as the target but with milled slits so it can be detached.

When installing the software, did you make sure that this checkbox was checked?

I checked the "... With virtual COM Port" option in the later experiments, but IIRC it didn't in the initial install because I didn't want to install the serial port.

Do I need both options even if I don't need the VCP, or is the second checkbox only for the VCP/CDC drivers, and the debugger just needs the first checkbox?

Just do know how to do it right next time - as I wrote, currently everything works with 4.74.
  • Hi,

I checked the "... With virtual COM Port" option in the later experiments, but IIRC it didn't in the initial install because I didn't want to install the serial port.
    Do I need both options even if I don't need the VCP, or is the second checkbox only for the VCP/CDC drivers, and the debugger just needs the first checkbox?

Yes, you always need the VCOM drivers for J-Links which support VCOM.
    The problem is that such J-Links enumerate with a different product ID than other ones which requires a different driver.

In J-Link config, it's displayed as SEGGER J-Link Lite-XMC4200 V1.00. It's on the same board as the target but with milled slits so it can be detached.

Got me...
    Yes, the firmware of the J-Link OB on the Infineon XMC Kits was named "LITE" by mistake... unfortunately this cannot be changed afterwards...
    So it is a J-Link OB but has been named J-Link LITE by mistake because there was some confusion in the beginning regarding the detach-option.

Best regards
    Alex

• (necessary to install both "USB Driver for J-Link" and "USB Driver for J-Link with Virtual COM Port"?)

SEGGER - Alex wrote:

Yes, you always need the VCOM drivers for J-Links which support VCOM.
    The problem is that such J-Links enumerate with a different product ID than other ones which requires a different driver.

good to know and IMO not obvious. Maybe it's worth an explanation in the dialog.

BTW: Is there any instruction or best practice how to install the software?

IMO it's somewhat problematic that the information about the installation is written to HKEY_CURRENT_USER (HKCU) instead of a globally readable path.

So when I install as Administrator, I don't see the settings when working as user.

Since installing software, especially an USB driver, is a "per machine" action, it should be readable for all users.

Oliver