Wednesday, October 18th 2017, 6:36pm UTC+2

You are not logged in.

• Login
  • Register

Dear visitor, welcome to SEGGER Forum. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Date of registration: Mar 18th 2014

Tuesday, March 18th 2014, 5:52pm

Unspecified error #16 on STR912-SK board

I am trying to do some programmatic flash programming using IAR vn 6.3 and a j-link plus. I have a small project which downloads fine to address 0 (boot bank set to 1) with FlashSTR91xF.board specified in IAR as downloader but when I try stepping through it a J-link error appears immediately "Programming failed @ address 0x00002EF4 (Algo13: Unspecified error #16). Then I get option to abort the debug session but IAR dies convincingly - I have to terminate it and restart.
Can you throw some light on the problem pls?

SEGGER - Alex

Super Moderator

Date of registration: Dec 18th 2007

Tuesday, March 18th 2014, 6:54pm

Hi,

Quoted

(boot bank set to 1)

You should either manually override the device, specifying a one with "Bootbank 1" option
or disable unlimited flash breakpoints.

Both can be done via the J-Link Control Panel:
- Start the debug session
- Click the J-Link icon in the lower right corner
- Go to the Settings tab
- Disable Flash breakpoints or select "Override device selection"

- Alex

Tuesday, March 18th 2014, 7:02pm

Obviously I'd rather not disable the unlimited breakpoints having paid for them ;-)
Just reread your post and followed the instructions but it didn't seem to make any difference (changing the device)

Ta for the speedy response BTW. I've been using IAR with STR9 for quite a few years now but am now having to write a boot loader and so am learning about the flash as I go. There don't seem to be any examples of one that are concurrent with the modern IAR so I am having to try and convert old ones (with very poor docn) :-(

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "mumble_myopia" (Mar 18th 2014, 7:08pm)

SEGGER - Alex

Super Moderator

Tuesday, March 18th 2014, 7:08pm

Hi,

Quoted

or am I looking in the wrong place.

Yes you are... You did not read my post.
You have to open the J-Link control panel to perform the device override... See previous post.
It has *nothing* to do with any files that come with IAR EWARM.

- Alex

Tuesday, March 18th 2014, 7:09pm

you were too quick - spotted that as you were typing. Sorry - I'm gettiong old ... and smelly :-(

SEGGER - Alex

Super Moderator

Tuesday, March 18th 2014, 7:12pm

The STR9 devices are terrible... This bootbank 1 thing is even worse (It creates a lot more problems than it solves).
Need to check if I can setup anything here to reproduce this. Anyhow, this may take a bit, since this is not a SEGGER-Support forum and this is a somewhat special case on a legacy device.

- Alex

Tuesday, March 18th 2014, 7:13pm

I selected STR912FW44 (Bootbank:1) and got the same error.
It is sllightly unintuitive that (but may well be a limit of the API it runs under) not having an Ok or Apply button. Having got the error again I openned the J-link control panel again and it had registered my change.

Tuesday, March 18th 2014, 7:17pm

Ok ta. The target I'm wanting to ultimately get things going on is actually the STR912FAW47 (loadsa Flash) so if that is easier for you then let me know and I'll build for that.
Incidentally another problem I had (with the STR912FAW47) was that IAR would download the image to both bank 0 and bank 1 when Ctrl-D was pressed which was weird. What problems have you had with STR9 devices (should I know about them before embarking down this road)?

Wednesday, March 19th 2014, 12:07pm

Progress

I tried disabling the flash downloader in IAR and enabling the device specific in J-link and have got further without the errors.

SEGGER - Alex

Super Moderator

Thursday, March 20th 2014, 1:17pm

Hi,

Just for confirmation:
Does this mean you are up and running now?

I assume the IAR flashloader is not able to handle the case that bootbank 1 is selected, since this requires special attention
in the flash algorithm because sectoriztaion if bootank 1 is selected is different from bootbank 0 being selected.

- Alex

Thursday, March 20th 2014, 1:43pm

Certainly the problem from the original post is resolved - ta very!
Up and running? Well may be better described as staggering with only one eye working (and that one has some grains of sand in it) ;-)

Feel free to close it