J-LInk Ultra+, losing communication after computer sleeps

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• J-LInk Ultra+, losing communication after computer sleeps

Software 4.80g
    I've used many J-links over the years but recently purchased and am using an Ultra+ now. I connect it to a Windows 7 x64 PC through a 7 port hub. What I am finding is that after the computer sleeps and then wakes up, communication with the J-Link is lost. To re-establish communication I need to unplug the USB cable from the J-Link and plug it back in. I don't recall this happening with the other models previously. Is this in fact something specific to the Ultra+ or have I overlooked something ?
  • Hi,

Not sure if this is relevant or helpful, but I have seen similar behavior with other USB devices, not JLink, and worked round it by changing the USB port settings.

Change the USB Root Hub Power Options in the
    Device manager to disable “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power”

As I say, may not be relevant, but may help,

Cheers
  • I changed all the USB hub settings ( Windows device manager ) to not allow the computer to put the device to sleep. But this was not sufficient to fix the problem. I also tried connecting the J-Link directly to a port on the PC, and through a hub. In cases, the USB link is somehow broken when the computer sleeps. If I try to start the IAR debugger, which is set to use the J-Link, the IAR app simply hangs. I assume that this is due to some behavior in the Segger DLL. If at that point I unplug the USB connector from the J-Link, then a dialog box pops up with a message about not being able to contact the J-Link.
    In my experience, this never happened with an earlier J-Link - only since getting the Ultra+. Is anyone using an Ultra+ that doesn't experience this ?
  • Hi,

We have fixed an issue regarding PC sleep mode and J-Link of later hardware revisions in V4.90 of the J-Link software.
    Affected models:
    J-Link ULTRA V4
    J-Link PRO V4

V4.90 can be downloaded here: segger.com/jlink-software.html

It comes with a new firmware that fixes the "communication lost after leaving sleep mode" issue.

- Alex
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.