emIDE/segger issues

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• emIDE/segger issues

Apologies if this is not the correct place for writing this.

I recently installed emIDE 2.16, and J-Link GDB Server V4.80h (on windows).

I am trying to debug and NS7520 (arm7tdmi).

My first issue is that no breakpoints are working, the program just keeps executing, unless I hit "break debugger" in the ide, in which case it stops and the CPU registers is updated, seeing the program counter far past the main entry points address.

My second issue is that, ok if I can stop the program flow manually and look at the memory then maybe I can do some work.
    But if I try to look at address 0xFFB00020 (PORT A, for the NS7520), segger outputs the following errrors
    WARNING: Failed to read memory @ address 0xC0FC0900
    Read 4 bytes @ address 0xC0FC0900 (Data = 0xAAAAAAAA)
    WARNING: Failed to read memory @ address 0x38001000
    Read 4 bytes @ address 0x38001000 (Data = 0xAAAAAAAA)
    WARNING: Failed to read memory @ address 0x38001000
    Read 4 bytes @ address 0x38001000 (Data = 0xAAAAAAAA)
    WARNING: Failed to read memory @ address 0xFFB00050
    Read 1 bytes @ address 0xFFB00050 (Data = 0xAA)
    WARNING: Failed to read memory @ address 0xFFB00050
    Read 1 bytes @ address 0xFFB00050 (Data = 0xAA)
    Read 1 bytes @ address 0xFFB00020 (Data = 0xEF)
    So then I started thinking that maybe I have to define the register addresses in gdbinit, the vendor uses the attached gdbinit script

And they also use the attached jlink settings file

I also noticed that segger have an almost identical settings file (C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGGER\JLinkARM_V480h\Samples\GDB\GDBInit\gdbns7520.jlink)

Anyways, could these somehow be used to enable breakpoints and reading of memory?

I haven't seen any copyright notices about these files but if there is, then please remove the attachments of this thread .

Any help is appreciated

Yours Sincerely
    Rikard Söderström

============== EDIT ====================

Apparently the problem with breakpoints had nothing to jlink/gdbinit files. I was building as little endian and the segger expected big endian, so I just told the segger to expect little endian and things started working. well, also there was an issue with emIDE's sample code (the watchdog disable part of that example, caused the program to reset (since the address for the watchdog was invalid)).

The problem now is looking at the memory still remains, but apparently it is only a problem for high addresses ragnes (0x0F000000 - 0xFFFFFFFF).
    Sadly those are the ranges that I wanted to see.

However the Watches window can be used to see these addressses and its values. So I guess I don't really need the memory window anymore.

Yours Sincerely
    Rikard Söderström
    Files

The post was edited 1 time, last by Soderstrom ().

• Hi,

Good to read you solved the problem with the breakpoints.

Regarding the memory contents, there is a new Memory Window in emIDE V2.20 which reads the memory content quite different.
    Maybe it can display the memory mapped registers you are trying to access.
    Otherwise it might be possible, that access to the registers is restricted, when they are not read with a specific size.

Best regards
    Johannes
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.