j-link gdb imx6 board bringup

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• j-link gdb imx6 board bringup

Hi,
    i'm trying to use my J-link debugger to do a board bring up. I have a custom board based of the SabreSD board from Freescale. Mine has a IMX6 solo processor and a different memory chip.

I have started JLinkGDBServer with the "-select USB -device MCIMX6S5 -if JTAG -speed auto" options.
    After that I created a short GDB script to setup the memory (attached as mem_setup.txt) I also uploaded the the u-boot binary.
    When I try to read from a memory address I get and error. I have attached the GDB log and the JLinkGDBServer log.

I am unsure if I need to setup something more in my GDB script. The memory setting I use seems to be working in a DDR stress test program that Freescale provides. I have searched around the and haven't been able to find an example of how an GDB script should look like for an IMX6. Any help would be appreciated.
    Files
    • mem_setup.txt

(7.51 kB, downloaded 1,308 times, last: )
    • gdb-log.txt

(3.85 kB, downloaded 928 times, last: )
    • jlink-log.txt

(6.26 kB, downloaded 1,036 times, last: )
  • Hi i got exectly the same problem with my wandboard dual under Linux (Ubuntu 64-bit). Currently I try to load u-boot into the SDRAM directly through the debugger. With JLinkExe everything works fine, but with the GDBServer i cannot access any memory location or the cp15 register. If I read from cp15 i got the following output from the GDB Server ...

monitor cp15 1,0,0,0
    Reading CP15 register ( 1,0,0,0 = 0xD4C28498 )

which can´t be true if you refer to the ARM v7 Architecture Reference.pdf

by executing the same command through JLinkExe i get the right cp15(SCTLR) value.

rce 0, 1, 0,0
    CP15[0, 1, 0, 0] = 0x00C51078

I would be very greatful if anyone could help me.
  • Hi guys, i just figured out where the problem lies.
    I always startet the gdb server with the command

./JLinkGDBServer -device MCIMX6U5

for some reason, the option -device MCIMX6U5 is the problem. If I start the gdb server without any options, everything is ok.
    I attach my .gdbinit file for all the people who fight with the initialization process of the imx6. I only tested this script with the Wandboard Dual. Maybe you have
    to modify the script for the single or quad version.

Best regards
    Wafgo
    Files
    • .gdbinit.txt

(4.04 kB, downloaded 1,140 times, last: )