Can't connect to NXP LPC1768

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Can't connect to NXP LPC1768

Hi,

I have problems when I try to connect to LPC1768 on a custom board with a J-link (Hardware v.8.0, DLL v.4.80). Jlink doesn't see the controller at all, and I think the problem is in hardware, but I can't understand, where exactly.
    I see with an oscilloscope, that TCK has level of 0,77 V when jlink is connected. If i disconnect only this wire (others remain connected), the level is +3,3 on Jlink side, and i can see the clock going. On thу board side level is 0. It seems, that the TCK pin has a too strong pull-down on board side. I have a pull-down resistor on the line, but the performance of the board does not change with the value of this resistor (tried 10k, 5k, 100k and no resistor). I have no other elements on TCK line.
    I have several such boards, and it seems unlikely, that the problem is in controller. Also I have another board with same controller, that worked properly with a different debug device, but behaves the same way with the current Jlink.
    Maybe there is some settings that i'm missing, so Jlink can handle such pulldown? Or, if you know, there is a way to change this internal controller's pulldown before it is programmed?
  • Update:
    Another J-link with older hardware (hardware v.3.0 and firmware from 2006) connected to the same board with the same cabling without any problems and allowed to program and debug it. Therefore, I still suspect J-Link as the faulty element. (although the first, "faulty" J-link also programmed one of our other boards, so it functions OK.)
  • Hi,

I see with an oscilloscope, that TCK has level of 0,77 V when jlink is connected.

Obviously sounds like a problem.

That sounds strange...
    If the J-Link is damaged, I would expect that it would fail on all boards, not only on one.
    If the board is damaged, I would expect that any J-Link fails.

Did you check the signal levels with the old J-Link being connected to the board?

Can you post a screenshot from the oscilloscope (at least showing TCK & TMS) when the J-Link V8 trying to communicate with the target?
    I suspect that the J-Link V8 is somewhat damaged and may sometimes work on some hardware but not reliably.

Since the J-Link V8 is out of support, maybe our trade-in program is of interest for you?:
    segger.com/trade-in-program.html

Best regards
    Alex
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.