J-Link GDB Server - Problems setting HW breakpoints using JTAG interface

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• J-Link GDB Server - Problems setting HW breakpoints using JTAG interface

Hello,

I've recently started using J-LINK to try debug my application running on an STM32F1XX.

When using the J-Link GDB server in JTAG mode, I am having issues setting HW breakpoints.
    When setting a breakpoint in GDB (for examble 'hbreak main'), I see the message in the server log "WARNING: No more breakpoint resources left". The breakpoint at main is never hit.

However, when I configure the GDB server interface to use SWD, the above breakpoint works fine and the program will stop at main().

As far as I can tell, the JTAG connection is wired properly. Also, the initial download and verification of application works fine over the JTAG interface. So far I am just running into problems with the debugging.

Could someone please explain what I am seeing here?

Thanks in advance,
    -Steven
  • Hi Steven,

When using the J-Link GDB server in JTAG mode, I am having issues setting HW breakpoints.

It should not be necessary to explicitly specify to set hardware breakpoints, since J-Link does this automatically as long as they are available.

So far, I have no idea why it should work with SWD but not with JTAG, since this is absolutely target interface independent.

Can you provide a project that allows reproduction of this?

Best regards
    Alex
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hi, I am not sure what you are asking me to provide...

Anyway, installed SW version 4.42c (because this was the version that a college was using).

I launched, the the GDB server (via JTAG), and then ran the same GDB session. I was then able to successfully break on main (unlike before using 4.76b)

-Steven
  • Hi Steven,

Hi, I am not sure what you are asking me to provide...

No problem, what I am asking for is the project you are using for debugging.
    What IDE / toolchain /environment do you use?
    Eclipse + GDB + GDBServer?
    emIDE + GDBServer?

We would like to check what is going wrong there since according to your explanation, it works in a previous version, so it sounds like a problem in the current one.

Best regards
    Alex

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• Hi,

Could you please check V4.76e?
    We fixed a problem regarding hardware breakpoints on Cortex-M when using the JTAG interface.
    This problem did not occur when using SWD.

Download-Link: segger.com/jlink-software.html

Best regards
    Alex

• Hi Steven,

Thanks for the confirmation. Good to hear that everything is working.

- Alex