Cannot clear/set breakpoints with J-Link

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Cannot clear/set breakpoints with J-Link

I have been using my J-Link for ARM and IAR Workbench IDE ver. 6.50.1 for about 6 months now.
    Occasionally, I try setting too many breakpoints, and get the "J-Link V4.56b Out of breakpoints" dialog asking me to upgrade my license to unlimited flash breakpoints.
    I have always dismissed this dialog clicking on "No".
    Yesterday, this dialog appeared, I again clicked "no" and proceeded to delete all my breakpoints from the IAR breakpoint window, then, set the new breakpoint I want.
    Well, now I am unable to set any breakpoints when running the debugger.
    If I quit the debugger, It seems I can set a breakpoint, but when I then start the debugger again I get the
    "J-Link V4.56b Out of breakpoints" dialog listing 6 breakpoints that shouldn't be set and disabling the one I tried to set.

If I leave the "J-Link V4.56b Out of breakpoints" dialog, open and start the
    "J-Link V4.56b - Control panel" it also shows these breakpoints in the "Code (managed by emulator)" section of the Breakpoints Tab - Note: I can't clear a breakpoint form the control panel by right clicking, since, the clear option is grayed out. Furthermore, if I then dismiss the "J-Link V4.56b Out of breakpoints" dialog, and reopen the
    "J-Link V4.56b - Control panel's Breakpoints tab, there are no set breakpoints shown.

I have tried rebooting and power cycling PC, J-Link, Target without any luck. Before I go on to re-installing, is there a way to fix this problem?

Thanks,

Steve
  • Hi Steve,

What device are you working with (Manfucaturer + Device name)?
    Sounds a bit like your settings in IAR EWARM are messed up.
    Could you please rename "settings" folder in your project folder to settings_ or something like that and then re-start the debug session?
    Just to check if this fixes the messed up settings.

Best regards
    Alex
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.