J-Link Programming Multiple Devices

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• J-Link Programming Multiple Devices

Hello Everyone,

I would like to inquire if it is possible for a J-Link to program multiple devices in a boundary scan chains. I bought an SDK of J-Link and planning to write an application to program the flash of multiple devices in a daisy chain format.

Thanks,
    Red
  • Hi Red,

Yes, it is possible but they would be needed to be programmed one after the other,
    since currently, one instance(!) of the DLL can only connect to one target device at a time.

Best regards
    Alex
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hello Alex,

Thank you so much for your response.

I'm sorry I'm a little confused, meaning flash download in production of multiple devices using daisy chain setup can't be done? But rather one by one flash download?
    To make it clear this is our setup.
    We will run the boundary scan with J-Link Ultra+ in 1 panel(8 boards) in a daisy chain format and each board has STM32f207 controller.
    We will build an application using the SDK from J-Link which will serve as boundary scan software and flash loaders.
    Boundary scan chain can access multiple devices. My question is could we also do flash download to all the controllers using boundary scan chain setup ? Or one device target at a time?

Thanks,
    Red
  • Hi Red,

Now I am confused :)
    What exactly are you planning to do?

Are you planning to write your own application using the SDK that communicates with the STM32F2xx devices
    or are you planning to use the built-in flash programming functionality of the DLL?

Please note:
    This method (DLL internal flash programming functionality) of programming is not recommended or supported for production purposes.
    For production programming, production grade programming tools should be used. These typically features a more sophisticated multi-step verification process. Many applications also require customization / patching of varibale data such as serial number(s), MAC adresses and similar.

We recommend J-Flash or Flasher for prodction grade programming needs.

So via the built-in flash programming functionality, J-Flash or Flasher, you would program one device at a time.
    Or you have 8 programmers in parallel, each connected to 1 board and programming 8 boards in parallel.

Best regards
    Alex

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• Hello Alex,

Thank you so much for your response and clarification.

Yes, we're planning to write our own application using SDK that will communicates with the STM32F2xx devices for boundary scan purposes.
    We're also planning to use the built-in flash programming functionality of the DLL for production purposes.

We're planning to use the Visual Studio as an IDE and C++ or C# as our programming language.
    I would like to ask if you have sample programs using the SDK that will communicates with STM32F2xx? I already have the SDK and manuals but still I'm having hard time to understand the instructions and sample programs. I would like to know the basic stuff, like how to set the pin of the STM32F2xx to high and low using the SDK under Visual Studio.

I really appreciate your help.

Thanks,
    Red
  • Hi Red,

You need to precise your question a bit...

how to set the pin of the STM32F2xx to high and low using the SDK

What pin?
    The STM32F2xxx devices have up to 144(or 256?) pins...
    We do not really understand the question.

We're also planning to use the built-in flash programming functionality of the DLL for production purposes.

Quite simple. The SDK comes with a sample application that demonstrates flash programming at Src\FlashDownload.c

Best regards
    Alex