J-Link remote access (ethernet interface/remote server): maximum 1 connection allowed ?!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• J-Link remote access (ethernet interface/remote server): maximum 1 connection allowed ?!

I tried to debug remotely using J-Link Pro with GDB server and found that I cannot use any other utility (j-link commander, j-link swo viewer, etc.) simultaneously ! I tried both via emulator ethernet interface and via remote server.
    Error message: "Max. Number of connections exceeded".

Quote from
    Supports concurrent access to CPU by multiple applications
    J-Link allows multiple applications to access a CPU at the same time. This has numerous applications. J-Link commander can be used in parallel to a debugger, a tool to communicate via DCC can be used in parallel to a debugger or a visualisation tool such as Micrium's u/C-Probe or SEGGER's kernel viewer embOSView. This feature is currently not available for Cortex A and R cores.

You missed very important detail !
  • Hi,

Supporting multiple connections via TCP/IP is on the ToDo list but a relatively big change in the firmware.

Regarding SWO Viewer:
    We plan to add an option to the SWOViewer which allows it to attach to a running GDBServer and receive the SWO data directly from the GDBServer.
    This also allows working-around the problem that in some cases multiple connections to the same target can cause unwanted side effects / debugging issues due to target debug interface limitations.

Best regards
    Alex
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hi Alex,
    I think it would be simpler to implement remote access by tunneling usb channel via tcp/ip connections at PC side. This solution only requires adding low-level redirection of usb calls to tcp/ip channel in jlink dll and implementing such channels in server/client stubs. No firmware changes.

Regards,
    Artem Pisarenko