Jlink installer doesn't update the Reg InstallPath

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Jlink installer doesn't update the Reg InstallPath

Hi,

I noticed that, every time when I install the newest JLink software, the regKey software\SEGGER\J-Link:InstallPath isn't updated.
    Maybe this is with a purpose, I don't know. If not, it would be handy if this key was updated so that IDE's automatically invoke the latest version.

Regards.
  • Hi,

I noticed that, every time when I install the newest JLink software, the regKey software\SEGGER\J-Link:InstallPath isn't updated.

So far, we can not confirm this.
    Could you please give us a bit more information about your environment?
    What operating system do you use (e.g. Win7 x64)?
    Are you working with administrator rights or standard user-rights?

Currently, the key "InstallPath" is updated each time a J-Link software package is installed. We are in progress of changing this since with the current implementation when installing V4.64 first and then V4.62, the registry key will point to the installation of V4.62 without giving the debugger a chance to locate the latest installed version.

We will change it like this (exact registry key structure is not finally decided yet and will be documented when released):
    Each installation creates a key:
    software\SEGGER\J-Link\Vx.xx
    which contains the keys:
    InstallPath
    VersionNo (for example for V4.64a this would be 046401)

When uninstalling a package, the appropriate key + sub-key will also be deleted.

This will allow a debugger to always detect the latest installed version of the J-Link package with an option to also provide access to earlier version if necessary for some reason.

Best regards
    Alex
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hi,

Alright, we will check if we can reproduce any problem here and get back to you as soon as we have any results.

Best regards
    Alex
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • SEGGER - Alex wrote:

We will change it like this (exact registry key structure is not finally decided yet and will be documented when released):
    Each installation creates a key:
    software\SEGGER\J-Link\Vx.xx
    which contains the keys:
    InstallPath
    VersionNo (for example for V4.64a this would be 046401)

May I suggest something different?
    Is it possible that the JLink installer is maintaining a regkey e.g. LatestVersionPath at the SEGGER root? If a 4.62 is installed after 4.66 then the installer won't update that regkey (perhaps checks its validity).

Pros:
    - This will give a generic way to retrieve the path info. Otherwise the IDE needs to implement segger special code to keep supporting auto launch. For EmBlocks this will mean that I have to switch to a manual GDB server browsing at the debug settings pane for the JLink.
    - Sustainable, if segger needs another structure in the future it wont effect us all.
    - EmBlocks, for instance, works with generic references (absolute, emblocks macro or regkey) and to keep projects portable it is advisable to keep those references relative (macro or regkey). So the path is solved at every GDB launch. If first all Segger regkeys must be iterated this will give extra overhead.

Cons:
    - There is a bit of extra code needed in the installer.

Regards

The post was edited 2 times, last by EmBlocks ().