Slow FLASH programming with i.MX35 and S29GL01GP

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Slow FLASH programming with i.MX35 and S29GL01GP

Hello,
    We have a custom HW equipped with Freescale i.MX35 processor and Spansion S29GL01GP NOR FLASH (1024x128kbyte sectors).
    For erasing and programming the FLASH we wanted to use our J-Link Pro interface.
    We could connect to the target correctly.
    When we tested the sector erase time, we got reasonable results (~87s for erasing 128 sectors).
    But when we wanted to program the FLASH, we experienced very low flashing speed: 474 byte/s.
    We performed speed test (IRAM, 128kbyte) which reported ~181 kbyte/s down and ~188 kbyte/s up speed.
    When we enabled the "Use target RAM" for IRAM and 4 KB, the RAM check timed out.
    After that we changed the RAM size to 1 KB. With this setting the RAM verification passed, but the subsequent erase / program operation timed out.
    Did anybody experienced such a slow flashing speed?
    If yes, did anybody find the reason behind that?
    The "Use target RAM" option seems to be useless.
    Did anybody use it with i.MX35 target?
    Best regards,
    Gyula Kovacs
  • Hello kkb-tec,

it sounds a bit like your project has a very low JTAG speed selected, such as 5KHz.
    Can you verify either in project settings or during operation in the control panel?

Programming speed should be much higher.
  • Hi,

mecalac: NAND flash requires a so-called custom RAMCode since the connection between CPU & NAND differs from CPU to CPU and even from hardware to hardware using the same CPU.

kkb-tech: Are you using an eval board or custom hardware? If you can provide us a hardware with CFI NOR flash which can remain at SEGGER we can implement high speed CFI NOR flash programming.

Best regards
    Alex
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.