What is "J-Link Serial Port Driver" option on V4.60 installer?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What is "J-Link Serial Port Driver" option on V4.60 installer?

When I installed Segger J-Link ARM v4.60 software package, I noticed a new checkbox for an optional component "Install J-Link Serial Port Driver". I couldn't determine if I needed it or not, nor could I find information about its purpose. I checked the box to install the "Serial Port Driver" because I couldn't determine whether I needed it or not.
    The following items now show up on my uninstall screen:
    - JLink ARM V4.60
    - JLink OB CDC Driver Package
    - Windows Driver Package - SEGGER (usbser) Ports
    - Windows Driver Package - Segger (jlink) USB
    1) Question - What is the purpose of this driver? What hardware or software requires this driver to be installed? Why should I install it or NOT install it???
    2) Request - Please explain in your manual and/or add a help screen in the installer.
  • Hello,

1) Question - What is the purpose of this driver? What hardware or software requires this driver to be installed? Why should I install it or NOT install it???
    Some J-Link OBs (J-Link on-board) come with CDC functionality. Until now the users of those OB's had to download the CDC driver from our website manually.

We decided to add this CDC driver to our default software package installer as optional driver.

Best regards
    Erik
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • 3) Please change the installer text from "Install J-Link Serial Port Driver" to "Install J-Link OB Serial Port Driver" or something to make it more obvious.

4) Please update the PDF manual to reflect this change.

Thanks!

The post was edited 1 time, last by Enlightenment ().

• Hi,

It makes sense to add it the to manual, so we will update the manual short term.
    The text will not be changed for now, since this feature is not necessarily limited to J-Link OBs for the future.

Best regards
    Alex - J-Link Product Manager
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.