JLink gdbserver attach to a running process?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• JLink gdbserver attach to a running process?

Can the JLink gdbserver combo attach to a running process?

I have been successful in one test setup to download and run a monolithic binary using the JLink probe as gdbserver. In this setup, the ARM7 devboard is booted entirely by the test binary. This is for a new project which has no firmware developed for it yet.

I have another ARM9 devboard setup which already has Linux bootloader and root filesystem installed and running on it. It also has its own gdbserver binary available for remote debugging, which can be done from app launch or attaching to the app's running process ID. But this configuration only works with devboards having Ethernet onboard, which is not an option with production boards.

Since the production boards have JTAG pads available, so I wanted to see how the JLink gdbserver setup would work there. I managed to get the Linux host PC to connect to the JLink gdbserver setup, but so far the only gdb command which allows the device to run thereafter is 'continue'. Trying to 'attach' to an app's running process ID complains that it has to kill the currently running process (which I guess could be anything Linux), and then complains it doesn't not know how to attach to the specified process ID.

Does this JLink gdbserver HW setup have any concept of processes or process IDs?
    Or is that particular to a Linux gdbserver SW app?
  • Any updates on this topic?

Dear all,

are there any updates on this topic? I would also like to use the J-Link GDB Server for debugging my Linux applications. However, so far I have not been able to attach to a specific process id.

Best regards,
    Markus Franke