Debugging second core in OMAP4430

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Debugging second core in OMAP4430

I am unclear how to access the second core of the TI OMAP4430 with the JLink. I am using the provided JLink script and can debug the first core fine, however I would like to switch to the second core. Does the script somehow set up the ability to switch between the cores from the GDB server? The following line from the script seems to indicate that the first core is hard coded in. Is it at least possible to change the script to access the second core?

C Source Code

1. CORESIGHT_CoreBaseAddr = 0xD4140000; // Set base address of the debug registers of the first Cortex-A9 core. (The OMAP4430 incorporates two Cortex-A9 cores)

Thanks
  • Hi,

You can modify the JLinkScript to connect to the second core by changing the Core Base Address at the following lines:

Source Code

1. Line 121: DbgRegBaseAddr = 0xD4142000; // Core0: 0xD4140000; Core1: 0xD4142000;
    2. Line 297: CORESIGHT_CoreBaseAddr = 0xD4142000; // Core0: 0xD4140000; Core1: 0xD4142000;

To access both cores at the same time create one JLinkScript for each core and start two instances of JLink GDB Server passing one script file and a port to listen on to it.
    Following an example batch file to start JLink GDB Server twice:

Source Code

1. start "GDBServer Core0" "JLinkGDBServer.exe" -scriptfile "C:\Work\OMAP4430\Core0.JLinkScript" -port 1895
    2. start "GDBServer Core1" "JLinkGDBServer.exe" -scriptfile "C:\Work\OMAP4430\Core1.JLinkScript" -port 1935

Best regards
    Johannes
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Works. Thank you very much.

Edit: Ok, works only half. I use IAR C-Spy with a above mentioned script. But I cannot achieve to debug both cores at the same time.
    When ever I launch a C-SPY it reset the board.

Is it a C-Spy problem or do I have to modify something else in the script?

2ndEdit:
    Same problem as with C-Spy, starting the 2nd server resets the board and the 1st one loose connection.

BTW: JlinkGDBServer of V457d does not accept -port!

The post was edited 2 times, last by 42BS ().

• Hi,

BTW: JlinkGDBServer of V457d does not accept -port!

It does accept the command, but it does not work properly. Will be fixed today/ on monday.

Best regards
    Alex

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• Correct, it accepts it :) (No error: illegal option). I should be more exact. (Anyway, it is a beta version.)

Anyway, the reset problem is somewhat more disturbing.

Also, how about Xilinx Zynq. Is there an automatic detection or also some TAP-woodoo needed?
    Kind regards
  • Hi,

The Xilinx Zynq can be auto-detected (the number of devices for which this can be done is definitely decreasing...).

reset problem: JLinkGDBServer will not perform a reset at connect if it is not told to do.

Best regards
    Alex

• SEGGER - Alex wrote:

Hi,

The Xilinx Zynq can be auto-detected (the number of devices for which this can be done is definitely decreasing...).
    This sounds good.

SEGGER - Alex wrote:

Hi,
    reset problem: JLinkGDBServer will not perform a reset at connect if it is not told to do.
    I tried -noreset option, but whenever one of the JLinkScript run it did reset the cpu.
    I could see it because the installed bootloader run again.