Jlink Ultra doesn't recongnize ARM11 and Cortex-A9 but RealView ICE does

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Jlink Ultra doesn't recongnize ARM11 and Cortex-A9 but RealView ICE does

Hi,

It seems my Jlink Ultra doesn't recognize ARM11 and Cortex-A9 cores. To double check Jlink Ultra hardware, I connect it to Cortex-M3 core, it works fine. See below commander log screen.

To also check my boards are working properly, I use ARM RealView ICE and both ARM11 and Cortex-A9 cores are recognized. See screen capture in attachments.

What could be wrong with my Jlink Ultra setup? Do I need to write some configurartion script to enable the core first and how?

Thanks,

Jack Lim

----------------Passed on Cortex-M3---------------------
    SEGGER J-Link Commander V4.50k ('?' for help)
    Compiled Jul 2 2012 16:03:36
    DLL version V4.50k, compiled Jul 2 2012 16:03:19
    Firmware: J-Link Ultra Rev.1 compiled Jun 19 2012 14:34:00
    Hardware: V1.00
    S/N: 281200100
    Feature(s): RDI, GDB, FlashBP, FlashDL, JFlash
    VTarget = 3.267V
    Info: TotalIRLen = 4, IRPrint = 0x01
    Info: Found Cortex-M3 r1p1, Little endian.
    Info: TPIU fitted.
    Info: FPUnit: 6 code (BP) slots and 2 literal slots
    Found 1 JTAG device, Total IRLen = 4:
    #0 Id: 0x3BA00477, IRLen: 04, IRPrint: 0x1, CoreSight JTAG-DP (ARM)
    Cortex-M3 identified.
    JTAG speed: 100 kHz
    J-Link>

------------------Failed on ARM11----------------------
    VTarget = 1.999V
    Info: Could not measure total IR len. TDO is constant high.
    No devices found on JTAG chain. Trying to find device on SWD.
    No device found on SWD.
    Did not find any core.
    No device found on SWD.
    Did not find any core.
    J-Link>

-----------------Failed on Cortex-A9---------------------
    VTarget = 3.306V

****** Error: No APB-AP found.
    No device found on SWD.
    Did not find any core.

****** Error: No APB-AP found.
    No device found on SWD.
    Did not find any core.
    J-Link>
    Images
    • RVI_Cortex-A9_screen.jpg

174.25 kB, 1,638×817, viewed 1,035 times
    • RVI_ARM11_screen.jpg

84.14 kB, 1,008×632, viewed 1,090 times
  • Hi,

ARM11: According to your log from J-Link Commander, J-Link measures 2V Target interface voltage
    VTarget = 1.999V

Is this correct for the ARM11 or is it also a 3.3V devices as the Cortex-A9. If it is, 2V as target interface voltage is definitely to low. This might be the problem here.

Cortex-A9: Which device are you using here? Maybe the ROM table in the device is not correct, so J-Link auto detection will fail here. (Would not be the first Cortex-A/R based device, where the ROM table is messed up...)

Best regards
    Alex
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Alex,

1. I am not sure supply voltage is the problem, the ARM RealView ICE can detect both ARM11 and Cortex-A9 (dual cores) as the pictures shown on both boards. Do you mean that J-LINK Ultra will not detect CPU correctly if it senses the supply voltage being 2V?

2. For Cortex-A9, the picture indicates that first Cortex-A9 core is device index 7 using RealView ICE. What should I do to tell J-LINK Ultra to recognize device 7 in the JTAG chain instead first device? If you can point me tutorial script, proper document, or example, it is appreciated.

Thanks,

Jack Lim
  • Hi Jack,

Do you mean that J-LINK Ultra will not detect CPU correctly if it senses the supply voltage being 2V?

No, that is NOT what I was writing. I just asked WHAT the target interface voltage of your ARM11 device is. This is something you should know, since I do not know the device you are using (I just know it is an ARM11 based device...).

2. For Cortex-A9, the picture indicates that first Cortex-A9 core is device index 7 using RealView ICE. What should I do to tell J-LINK Ultra to recognize device 7 in the JTAG chain instead first device? If you can point me tutorial script, proper document, or example, it is appreciated.

That should not be a problem. If the Cortex-A9 based device you are using behaves CoreSight compliant, J-Link should be able to automatically detect the position of the Cortex-A9.

One more thing: Could you please tell us how you designed the JTAG connector on your board? I asked because you can not use pins 14, 16, 18, 20 as GND reference when using J-Link Ultra because these pins are actually not on GND for J-Link Ultra.
    We have customers which initially used one of these pins as GND reference which caused problems on their hardware.

Best regards
    Alex
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hi Alex,

Please see the picture of JTAG 20-pin header on board, it is following ARM's recommendation. TCK is pull-high with R1015 depop.

Do I need to keep pin-14/16/18/20 float? What are proper connections for JLINK/JLINK-Ultra? I really want to resolve this problem to recommend low cost JLINK/JLINK-Ultra JTAG ICE to my customers, your help is very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jack Lim
    Images
    • JTAG_20pin_header.jpg

51.62 kB, 587×492, viewed 936 times