WM_MakeModal() and touch input

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• WM_MakeModal() and touch input

Hi folks,
    I am using a dialog (Window rooted with various widgets rooted in a Framewin) as a popup and want the dialog to be modal. However when I do this, the widgets in the modal dialog do not receive WM_NOTIFICATION_RELEASED events. This is awkward as some of them cannot then be pressed twice since they remain 'pressed' until another widget is touched.

I can work around this by not making the popup modal and instead disabling widgets in the parent dialog but this requires more code and logic than the single "WM_MakeModal()" call.

Is there a way to get WM_NOTIFICATION_RELEASED messages in a modal dialog?

Thanks!
  • Hi Adrain,
    The touch driver provides 'pen down' and 'pen up' events to the WM via:

Source Code

1. GUI_TOUCH_StoreStateEx(&TS_State);

and with TS_State.TouchDetected set appropriately.

This works fine if the dialog is not modal but when I add the call to WM_MakeModal(dialogHandle); e.g.:

Source Code

1. WM_HWIN CreateFramewin(void);WM_HWIN CreateFramewin(void) { WM_HWIN hWin;
    2. hWin = GUI_CreateDialogBox(_aDialogCreate, GUI_COUNTOF(_aDialogCreate), _cbDialog, WM_HBKWIN, 0, 0); return hWin;}
    3. // USER START (Optionally insert additional public code)
    4. void CreateUserNameDialog(void){ dialogHandle = CreateFramewin(); WM_MakeModal(dialogHandle);}
    5. // USER END

WM_NOTIFICATION_RELEASED events are not then received. Without WM_MakeModal(dialogHandle); they are.
  • And my code w/out 'code' (re)formatting:

static WM_HWIN CreateFramewin(void);
    static WM_HWIN CreateFramewin(void) {
    WM_HWIN hWin;

hWin = GUI_CreateDialogBox(_aDialogCreate, GUI_COUNTOF(_aDialogCreate), _cbDialog, WM_HBKWIN, 0, 0);
    return hWin;
    }

// USER START (Optionally insert additional public code)

void CreateUserNameDialog(void)
    {
    dialogHandle = CreateFramewin();
    // WM_MakeModal(dialogHandle);
    }

// USER END
  • Hi Adrian,
    Thank you for looking into that. Can you suggest anything I might investigate to resolve this? It seems odd that the single call (WM_MakeModal(dialogHandle))
    would interfere with touch handling for the case of pen up events and I suspect some other configuration option may trigger this behavior.

Thanks!
  • I was seeing exactly the same behaviour, receiving no WM_NOTIFICATION_RELEASED events when WM_MakeModal was being used.
    All was ok when testing under the simulator.

I am using STemwin and traced the issue down to ST's not so good touch driver.
    You call BSP_TS_GetState to read the touch driver info, however x and y info is only written if a touch is detected.

The ST code was actually using x and y even if the data was not valid.

C Source Code

1. BSP_TS_GetState(&ts);
    2. TS_State.Pressed = ts.TouchDetected;
    3. uint16_t xDiff = (prev_state.x > ts.x) ? (prev_state.x - ts.x) : (ts.x - prev_state.x);
    4. uint16_t yDiff = (prev_state.y > ts.y) ? (prev_state.y - ts.y) : (ts.y - prev_state.y);

My solution was to make sure the parameter was always initialised to zero, eg.

C Source Code

1. TS_StateTypeDef ts = {0};
    2. BSP_TS_GetState(&ts);
  • SEGGER - Adrian wrote:

Hello,

I am afraid I did not get an answer from ST by now. So the problem will likely still exist.

Best regards,
    Adrian
    Hello

I have come across same issue I don't receive WM_NOTIFICATION_RELEASED events when WM_MakeModal() is used. On contrary I do get WM_NOTIFICATION_RELEASED notification without use of WM_MakeModal() property.

I am using "STemWin_Library_V1.1.2" version from ST and it has "STemWinLibrary522"(Segger 5.22) version of Segger.

Current wayaround 8) I am using is when using GUI_CreateDialogBox for creating dialog/pop up window is to use correct parent window handle. By default(if using GUI builder) it uses WM_HBKWIN macro to get background window.

hWin = GUI_CreateDialogBox(_aDialogCreate, GUI_COUNTOF(_aDialogCreate), _cbDialog, hParentWin, 0, 0); // 4th Arg"WM_HBKWIN" replace with your current window handle "hParentWin" on top of wthich you want to create pop up win

This way even if I touch window in background my pop up does not get behind it floats on top, which is serving me for now well..

Regards
  • hbarta wrote:

WM_HWIN CreateFramewin(void);
    WM_HWIN CreateFramewin(void)
    { WM_HWIN hWin; hWin = GUI_CreateDialogBox(_aDialogCreate, GUI_COUNTOF(_aDialogCreate), _cbDialog, WM_HBKWIN, 0, 0); return hWin;
    }
    // USER START (Optionally insert additional public code)
    void CreateUserNameDialog(void)
    {
    dialogHandle = CreateFramewin();
    WM_MakeModal(dialogHandle);
    }
    dialogHandle = CreateFramewin(); Return window handle/handle of frame window
    In call back routine I was using pMsg->hWin; handle .. which would be same as returned by CreateFramewin();

WM_MakeModal(); Needs hParent and not window handle.

following code inserted in initialisation of dialog works..
    _cbDialog(WM_MESSAGE * pMsg) {
    WM_HWIN hItem;

switch (pMsg->MsgId)
    {
    case WM_INIT_DIALOG:
    hItem = WM_GetDialogItem(pMsg->hWin, ID_LISTVIEW_0); // ID_LISTVIEW_0 is ID of child on created window
    hItem = WM_GetParent(hItem);
    WM_MakeModal(hItem);

break;
    }

}

//-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This brings to question on user manual.. ?( Should it be Parent handle and not Window handle?

WM_MakeModal()
    Description
    This function makes the window work in ’modal’ mode. This means pointer device
    input will only be sent to the ’modal’ window or a child window of it if the input position
    is within the rectangle of the modal window.
    Prototype
    void WM_MakeModal(WM_HWIN hWin);

Parameter Description
    hWin Window handle.

The post was edited 6 times, last by Pmjagtap ().

• Just recheked today code behaviour but I am getting WM_NOTIFICATION_RELEASED notification in both cases with and without use of WM_MakeModal();

I do not recall what change made it to work it right !

Pmjagtap wrote:

SEGGER - Adrian wrote:

Hello,

I am afraid I did not get an answer from ST by now. So the problem will likely still exist.

Best regards,
    Adrian
    Hello

I have come across same issue I don't receive WM_NOTIFICATION_RELEASED events when WM_MakeModal() is used. On contrary I do get WM_NOTIFICATION_RELEASED notification without use of WM_MakeModal() property.

I am using "STemWin_Library_V1.1.2" version from ST and it has "STemWinLibrary522"(Segger 5.22) version of Segger.

Current wayaround 8) I am using is when using GUI_CreateDialogBox for creating dialog/pop up window is to use correct parent window handle. By default(if using GUI builder) it uses WM_HBKWIN macro to get background window.

hWin = GUI_CreateDialogBox(_aDialogCreate, GUI_COUNTOF(_aDialogCreate), _cbDialog, hParentWin, 0, 0); // 4th Arg"WM_HBKWIN" replace with your current window handle "hParentWin" on top of wthich you want to create pop up win

This way even if I touch window in background my pop up does not get behind it floats on top, which is serving me for now well..

Regards