[SOLVED] Eclipse gdb debugging

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] Eclipse gdb debugging

I'm trying to set up a J-Link for debugging from Eclipse via the gdb server. When Eclipse launches the debugger it connects to the gdb server and flashes the code, but Eclipse doesn't show any debug information (registers, source, etc.) in the IDE windows. However, I can type gdb commands into the Eclipse debugger command window and everything works as expected. From the command window I can step through my code, set breakpoints, see variables and registers, and the gdb client even shows the correct source lines--but only in the command window, not the IDE windows.

I do see a message in the J-Link GDB Server window indicating "WARNING: Unknown packet received: "qXfer:threads:read::0,fff". Does anyone know the implications of this? Could it be related the the problem I'm having? Is anyone else seeing this?

I see the same behavior running on both Windows 7 and Fedora 20 Linux, and on two separate PCs. I've also tried a couple of different Arm toolchains, and all behave the same.

I'm using:

Eclipse Kepler SP2 (4.3.2) w/CDT 8.3.0 (current versions, downloaded last week)
    J-Link GDB Server V4.86
    Arm Cortex-M0 (Cypress PSoC 4245)
    Toolchain from
    launchpad.net/gcc-arm-embedded
    GNU ARM Eclipse plugins from gnuarmeclipse.livius.net/blog/

I've also tried the toolchain from Cypress PSoc Creator 3.1 and get the same results.

Web searches suggest that lots of people are successfully using Eclipse and the J-Link for ARM development and debugging, so I expect this is a simple case of operator error or misconfiguration, but I've had a heck of a time trying to figure it out. Hence my plea to the users of this forum for any help or advice you might care to give.

Thanks,
    - Larry

The post was edited 1 time, last by Larry ().

• GDB client protocol error

New info:

The gdb client shows this:

170,714 31-list-thread-groups
    170,718 31^error,msg="Protocol error: qXfer:threads:read (threads) conflicting enabled responses."

This seems to suggest a disconnect between the protocol handling between the gdb client and the J-Link gdb server.

Is anyone successfully using the J-Link gdb server with the gnu arm plugin (or others)? If so, can you share your version numbers so I can try to match?

- Larry
  • I have the same exact problem. I am trying to debug over a MCB1750 board with an LPC1758 cpu.
    Toolchain version: 2014-q1.

Maybe any compatibility issue?

Thank you for any advice.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Fano ().

• Hi Larry,

We already found the problem.
    This has unfortunately be introduced in the latest version by supporting some additional GDB commands.
    A fixed version comes later this week (probably tomorrow)

Sorry for any inconveniences caused.

Best regards
    Alex
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Eclipse gdb debugging

Great news!
    In the meantime, what is the latest version without this problem?
    Is downgrading J-Link software easy, or am I likely to have problems such that it's better to wait a day or two for the new version?
    - Larry
  • Hi,

Usually, it is just installing an older version, that's it.
    Anyhow, we have released V4.86a in which this problem has been solved.

segger.com/jlink-software.html

- Alex
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.