JLink EDU defective

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• JLink EDU defective

Hi everybody,

be happy about OSX driver for JLink and wish to try: connect my 1,5 years old and rare used JLink EDU.
    1. LED lights permanent: nice!
    2. start JLink execute (sudo ./start) and become nice feedback (SEGGER J-Link Commander V4.43c ....)
    3. LED goes off on point normally become typical JLink EDU screen to accept non-profit usage
    4. LED goes on
    5. than "communication timeout: Requested 1 bytes, received -1 bytes !"
    6. LED goes off forever

Replugging not help.
    Opened enclosure and check voltages: 5V and 3.3V are here. All other USB devices work properly. Try to connect directly on iMac and via USB-Hub: same thing.

I had some problems already (see forum) - it seems to be defect in inside MCU Chip. Another JLink (SAM-ICE) are gives away, so, I cannot check another hardware JLink.

It seems to be: I need to order new one JLink EDU. :(

Regards,
    Sebastian
  • Hello Sebastian,

We did a quick test with a J-Link EDU on a Mac OS X and it works without any problems (see the screenshot below).
    Have you tried to connect your J-Link EDU to a Windows machine? Does it show the same behavior?

Best regards,
    Marius
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hi Marius,

yes, Ive tried to connect to Windows&Debian-6: LED on JLink EDU are still off, no USB hardware can be found.
    Did you need my SerialNr?
    I still have invoice in original package too.

On firmware upgrade was no target on JTAG connected, JLink was directly on iMac USB port.

I'd already problems using 4.42b on Windows.

And before you ask: its nothing patched or so: all legal and original.

Regards,
    Sebastian
  • Hi Sebastian,

Did you try it on a native WIndows machine? (My last status is that you tried it in a VM, should not make a difference but to be sure)
    We also have J-Link running on different Windows machines (from 2k - Win7) and we do not see any problem.

Best regards
    Alex

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• Hi Alex,

tried on real PC yesterday on Windows and Linux (Ubuntu).
    LED still OFF all the time. USB find no new hardware plugged.
    So Its looks like damaged device.

I think its something goes worn on firmware upgrade and must not to be a problem with OSX driver.

Yes, Ive problems using it in VM, and can imagine a problem from flash.

Before you ask: no target hardware was connected on firmware upgrade, JLink was directly connected to USB prort from iMac.

My JLink was a long time not in use, so I haven't flashed it too much or something like that.

NGX-ARM-USB based on FTDI working well on the same USB port.

Best regards,
    Sebastian
    P.S. please let me know about my workaround for Mac OSX driver
  • Hi Sebastian,

If your J-Link EDU is no longer recognized (LED stays off) and you are still in warranty time,
    just get in touch with our support regarding a RMA note for reparation / replacement.

Regarding the workaround: I am not really familiar with Mac OS X since we are not working on it here, usually.
    We will check if there is a generic problem with Lion. If there is one, we will fix it.

Best regards
    Alex

• Hi Alex,
    thanks for your quick response.
    As I know, JLink-EDU have 90 days limited warranty.
    I bought mine 1.5 years ago, so, I think my warranty is gone....

I can replace the chip if, its fully damaged, myself- its not a problem for me. But firmware will be a big problem.

Are you have idea to solve this problem?

My Serial: 268000491

Best regards,
    Sebastian

The post was edited 1 time, last by SebastianK ().

• Hi Sebastian,

If J-Link is not enumerating anymore there is nothing which can be done remotely anymore, since the bootloader of the J-Link does not have a chance to receive a new firmware via the DLL. Also, replacing the device would not help you since the bootloader file of J-Link is not distributed, so after replacing the device, you would have a blank chip on your J-Link.

Best regards
    Alex

• Hi Alex,

its is what I mean.
    Device cannot be enumerated on USB. I guess the flash loose some (or all) data or device himself defective.

I means: it is possible to send you for flashing it back when I replace the Atmel chip?

Best regards,
    Sebastian
    P.S. I can send PCB only if needed
  • Hi Sebastian,

Please get in touch with our support directly regarding this. You should also send a link to this thread as reference.
    We will find a solution here.
    I will close the thread at this point because this is going into a commercial direction for which this forum is not the correct place.

Best regards
    Alex