[ABANDONED] Intermittent JTAG malfunction when attached to NXP LPC4357

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [ABANDONED] Intermittent JTAG malfunction when attached to NXP LPC4357

Context: I'm trying to debug an NXP LPC4357, a multi-core MCU with a Cortex M4F and M0. I'm using a J-Link v9.10 with IAR EWARM 8.22.1 on Windows 7 Pro x64, using J-Link driver 6.30h.

To debug both cores JTAG must be used. SWD can only access the M4F.

Although I'm able to debug both cores for a while via JTAG, intermittently the debugger will malfunction and send/receive nonsense data. This manifests as follows:
    - The probe [and IDE] suddenly believes the core is halted when it is observably not (LEDs continue to blink, LCD is redrawn, etc)
    - The core continues executing normally as if no probe is attached.
    - The contents of memory and registers all read the same value like "0x0400'0000" or all zero.
    - Watch variables get corrupted with incorrect values - more on this below.
    - Stopping the debug session and re-attaching the debugger temporarily makes the problem disappear.
    - Does not ever happen in SWD mode. SWD doesn't support dual core debug so unfortunately I can't use it a lot of the time.
    - The code and the device itself are perfectly stable and never experience problems when the probe is not attached.
    - It doesn't seem to be affected by the operating frequency, I tried from 250KHz up to 12MHz.

I have reproduced the issue on two separate J-Link probes both using the latest firmware and drivers. I can reproduce it fairly easily if you have any ideas to try.

I've also captured a log of this happening which I've attached to this post. During the capturing of this log, which was done by attaching to the running M4F core, a watch variable "SystemCoreClock" was overwritten to an incorrect value by the probe and all displayed registers/code/memory in the IDE read back as zero.

The overwrite of the watch variable is the reason I came to suspect the probe was responsible. After attaching the debugger and having it foul up as described above, the value in the watch window reads 0xA05F'0003 instead of the clock frequency. That's a familiar value - what the debugger should write to the DHCSR register to halt the core! But it wrote it to the wrong place somehow. And it's not just displayed wrong, it really did write to memory. I set up the core to blink an LED when the value changed and it did.

I took measures to verify it was the probe and not [as I thought it must be] my code. I set up data watchpoints on both cores to catch any writes to that variable and found nothing. I also halted the M0 and used the MPU on the M4F to fault on any write to that area. Still nothing. The only way it could be written is through the debug port.

Any idea what could be going on here?
    Files
    • cspycomm.zip

(22.81 kB, downloaded 270 times, last: )
  • Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry.
    Such an issue is not known to us.
    Generally J-Link will only execute memory accesses that the IDE tells him to. So if this issue is related to wrong memory writes/reads it is most likely connected to the sequence IAR is sending to J-Link.
    Are you using an eval board or custom hardware?
    Does the issue persist when using the Ozone debugger? segger.com/products/development-tools/ozone-j-link-debugger/
    Is your application using any low power modes or is blocking memory access by changing memory permissions or changing the settings of the debug pins?

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • I'm using the Waveshare Open4357-C eval board.

No low-power modes are being used. The JTAG debug pins are dedicated on this chip so no multiplexing problems either. And this problem happens regardless of whether the MPU is enabled.

Maybe the IDE has some memory corruption bug... I will try in another IDE as you suggest, it will take a while to port the project though.
  • Hello,

As an IDE alternative we suggest Embedded Studio: segger.com/products/development-tools/embedded-studio/

It comes with an IAR project imported. For more complex projects you can follow this import guide: wiki.segger.com/How_to_port_pr…to_SEGGER_Embedded_Studio

Does the issue persist when using Ozone? It is free to use and works with IAR output format. So you do not need to port your project .

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.