[Solved] prevent SystemView from crashing on high load situations

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [Solved] prevent SystemView from crashing on high load situations

Hi,

I'm successfully running SystemView with my STM32F429 target.
    The target runs FreeRTOS with lwip (TCP/IP Stack) and an iperf server. I'm using a J-Trace Cortex-M to connect to the target.

as soon as I start the bandwithtest, SystemView just displays an error message:
    Invalid packet received. recording stopped.

the test finishes and shows respectable values.

I set the SWD frequency to 20MHz, the SystemView Up-Buffer is set to 8KB.

How can I prevent SystemView from crashing in this benchmark test?

Best Regards
  • Hi,

Invalid packets are most commonly caused by not locking everything which creates SystemView events or causes context switches.
    Could you make sure that SEGGER_SYSVIEW_LOCK() / SEGGER_RTT_LOCK() are defined to disable all interrrupts which do so?
    To be sure this caused the problem, disable all interrupts.

Best regards
    Johannes
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hi,

Could you give the latest beta (V2.35) SystemViewer a try?
    It fixes one issue which could cause invalid packets in high load situations, too.

Regards
    Johannes

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• Hi,

In some cases SystemViewer could have read incomplete events from the target,
    which led to the invalid packet message.

This has been improved.

Regards
    Johannes

• Hi,

Great to read it is working now.

If you started GDB Server before the SystemVIew recording, the data is read via this J-Link connection.
    In this case you should set a higher interface speed in GDB Server.
    If this does not completely help, you will need to increase the SystemView buffer size.

Regards
    Johannes