J-Flash ARM with AT45DB642D

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• J-Flash ARM with AT45DB642D

Hi,

I am currently working with a custom board built around the AT91SAM9263 microcontroller. The board make use of external Dataflash for permanent storage of the application (later transferred to an external SDRAM for execution). The Dataflash memory is of type AT45DB642D and is connected to the MCU by the SPI0 bus. To be able to access the MCU (and in turn the memory) I am using an SAM-ICE JTAG emulator with the latest J-Flash software (v4.08l). To flash the Dataflash I am using J-Flash ARM, but without success: at connection it says "Could not find any flash devices". I am using the option "Automatically detect flash memory" since the AT45D/DB is not among the list of supported flash devices. Can't I flash simply because the memory I am using isn't supported? If so, is it possible to add support for it?

Best regards,
    Robert
  • Hello roberthg,

currently J-Flash supports internal flash + external NOR flash only.
    We are currently adding support for custom RAMCodes.
    This will allow to program any kind of flash (internal, NOR, NAND, DataFlash, SPI flash) with J-Flash / Flasher ARM.
    Custom RAMCode means that a RAMCode for a custom hardware is loaded in J-Flash (This RAMCode is written by SEGGER or by the user)
    which contains the logic for programming the target flash.
    Support for custom RAMCodes in J-Flash / Flasher ARM is scheduled for middle of this week.

Best regards
    Alex
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • RE: J-Flash ARM with AT45DB642D

Hi,

I was curious to know if support for flashing the AT45DB642D was ever added to J-Flash or if the ability to add custom RAMCodes was added. We are working with a custom board that uses the AT45DB642D DataFlash and the K9F2G08U0M NANDFlash and we cannot find confirmation that either of these are natively supported by J-Flash.

Any additional information would be appreciated.

Regards,

Philip
  • Hi Philip.

native support for NAND and DataFlashes can not be added to J-Flash,
    since the connection between the Flash and the MCU varies from CPU to CPU.
    Moreover even when using the same CPU, the connection can vary from target to target design.

For example if you are using an DataFlash and a AT91SAM9G20 CPU,
    you can connect it to different chip selects on different target designs,
    so the SPI has to be configured in different ways.

So for NAND flash/DataFlash/serial-NOR flash always a custom RAMCode is needed.

Best regards
    Alex

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• Hi Philip,

support for custom RAMCodes is implemented in J-Flash.
    If you wnat us to write a custom RAMCode for your
    target CPU + flash, please get in touch with info@segger.com.

It is still under discussion if there will be a RAMCode SDK
    which enables customers to write custom RAMCodes on their own.

Best regards
    Alex

•  Alex,

Thanks again for your response. In continuing to try and find a way to quickly resolve our dilemma, I have a couple more questions:

With those 2 flash chips that we have, is there any way to flash images into NAND and Dataflash without custom RAMCodes?

If SEGGER does create the RAMCodes for us, what is the minimum required JTAG tools and hardware needed by us to let us program binaries into those NAND and Dataflash using these RAMCodes?

Thanks,

Philip
  • Hi Philip,

>> If SEGGER does create the RAMCodes for us, what is the minimum required JTAG tools and hardware needed
    >> by us to let us program binaries into those NAND and Dataflash using these RAMCodes?
    If want to use J-Flash for programming: J-Link + J-Flash lincense
    If you want to use Flasher ARM: Flasher ARM + J-Flash (only needed once, to setup Flasher for programming, Flasher ARM comes with a license for J-Flash)
    We can also create a DFPU: segger.com/cms/jlink-dfpus.html In this case you need a J-Link only

Best regards
    Alex